William Ralph Inge
William Ralph Inge
by Philip Alexius de László
oil on canvas, 1934
36 1/4 in. x 28 1/4 in. (921 mm x 718 mm)
Given by wish of William Ralph Inge, 1971
Sitterback to top
- William Ralph Inge (1860-1954), Dean of St Paul's and writer. Sitter in 34 portraits.
Artistback to top
- Philip Alexius de László (1869-1937), Portrait painter. Artist or producer associated with 21 portraits, Sitter in 7 portraits.
Linked publicationsback to top
- Saywell, David; Simon, Jacob, Complete Illustrated Catalogue, 2004, p. 326
Events of 1934back to top
Current affairsSir Stafford Cripps represents the miners of Gresford Colliery in Wrexham at an inquiry into the recent gas explosion and fire which killed 263 miners, and three rescue workers in one of the worst mining disasters in British history.
Art and sciencePercy Shaw invents 'Cat's eyes'. The development of road reflectors increased safety on the roads at night and proved to be particularly useful during the wartime blackout. They are still used today.
Dylan Thomas published his first volume of poetry, 18 Poems.
InternationalStalin and Hitler consolidate dictatorial power by 'purging' their opponents. In the Soviet Union, members of the Communist Party and particular sectors of society such as the intelligentsia were targeted in the 'Great Purge', while in Germany Hitler murdered hundreds of potential opponents in the SA during the 'Night of the Long Knives'.
Thousands in the USA are forced to flee their homes to escape the Dust Bowl storms.
- Letter from William Ralph Inge - 11 December 1934
- Letter from William Ralph Inge - 6 June [193?]
- Letter from de László to Sir Richard Winn Livingstone - 13 May 1935
- Correspondence and Papers of Philip de László
- Learn more about Philip de László
- Guide to the correspondence and papers of Philip de László
- Online index and preliminary list
- Other archive material relating to Philip de László in the National Portrait Gallery
- Other sources of information about Philip de László
- Selected letters of Philip de László
- Artist - Laszlo
- Walter Benington: Pictorial portraits