1 of 3 portraits of Samuel Ireland
- Extended Catalogue Entry
by Hugh Douglas Hamilton
pastel on grey paper, 1776
10 1/2 in. x 8 1/4 in. (267 mm x 210 mm) oval
Sitterback to top
- Samuel Ireland (1744-1800), Writer and engraver. Sitter in 3 portraits, Artist associated with 12 portraits.
Linked publicationsback to top
- Ingamells, John, National Portrait Gallery: Mid-Georgian Portraits 1760-1790, 2004, p. 282
- Rogers, Malcolm, Master Drawings from the National Portrait Gallery, 1993 (accompanying the exhibition at the National Portrait Gallery from 5 August to 23 October 1994), p. 59
- Saywell, David; Simon, Jacob, Complete Illustrated Catalogue, 2004, p. 327
Linked displays and exhibitionsback to top
- Late Eighteenth Century Prints and Drawings (17 April 2004 - 5 September 2004)
Events of 1776back to top
Current affairsTahitian visitor to London Omai returns home with Captain James Cook on his third voyage. During his two-year stay he inspired a play and was painted by Joshua Reynolds.
Member of Parliament David Hartley unsuccessfully introduces a motion to the House of Commons calling for the abolition of the slave trade.
Art and scienceEdward Gibbon produces the first volume of his monumental The Decline and Fall of the Roman Empire.
Artist John Constable is born.
Scottish economist Adam Smith analyses the nature and causes of prosperity in his magnum opus The Wealth of Nations.