King James II
- Extended Catalogue Entry
King James II
by Sir Peter Lely
oil on canvas, circa 1665-1670
20 1/4 in. x 17 3/4 in. (514 mm x 451 mm)
Artistback to top
- Sir Peter Lely (1618-1680), Portrait painter. Artist associated with 843 portraits, Sitter in 19 portraits.
This portraitback to top
An unfinished sketch, almost certainly from life.
Linked publicationsback to top
- Smartify image discovery app
- The British Portrait, 1660-1960, 1991, p. 90 number 12
- Ingamells, John, Later Stuart Portraits 1685-1714, 2009, p. 122
- Ollard, Richard, Character Sketches: Samuel Pepys and His Circle, 2000, p. 31
- Ollard, Richard, Pepys and his Contemporaries, 2015, p. 44
- Saywell, David; Simon, Jacob, Complete Illustrated Catalogue, 2004, p. 332
- Simon, Robin, The portrait in Britain and America : with a biographical dictionary of portrait painters, 1680-1914, 1987, p. 11 no. 1
Linked displays and exhibitionsback to top
- Restoration Lives: Samuel Pepys and His Circle (31 March 2003 - 26 October 2003)
Events of 1665back to top
Current affairsGreat Plague initially breaks out in the deprived parish of St. Giles-in-the-Fields killing thousands. Humphrey Henchman, Bishop of London, takes a leading role in organising collections of money for the poor.
Five Mile Act forbids ejected clergymen from living within five miles of a parish they formerly served.
Art and scienceA New Discourse of Trade, written by Sir Josiah Child, outspokenly advocates for the advantages of free trade.
The first issue of the Royal Society's scientific journal, Philosophical Transactions, is edited by Henry Oldenburg, the Society's Secretary.
InternationalSecond Anglo-Dutch War. Despite England's resounding victory at the first naval encounter, the Battle of Lowestoft, failure to seize the valuable Dutch East Indies fleet by Admiral Edward Montagu, Earl of Sandwich, and subsequent Dutch victory at the battle at Vågen, were considerable setbacks for the English.
- Alexander Browne and Richard Tompson
- Restoration Lives: Samuel Pepys and His Circle
- Kings and Queens: A Family tree
- Painted Ladies: Women at the Court of Charles II
- Handlist of names in the Reference Collection
- Duchess of Cleveland Appeal
- Handlist of names in the Reference Collection - M-Z
- Barbara Villiers
- Catherine Sedley
- 2018 Anniversaries
Tell us more
Framed & unframed prints