by Unknown artist
oil on panel, 1560s
12 3/8 in. x 10 1/4 in. (314 mm x 260 mm)
Linked publicationsback to top
- Saywell, David; Simon, Jacob, Complete Illustrated Catalogue, 2004, p. 338
- Strong, Roy, Tudor and Jacobean Portraits, 1969, p. 181
Events of 1560back to top
Current affairsTreaty of Edinburgh between England, France and Scotland. France removes forces from Scotland and Mary, Queen of Scots abandons her claim to the English crown.
An independent Scottish Parliament is established in Edinburgh, which in turn establishes the Church of Scotland. Influenced by the Protestant reformer John Knox, the reformed church abolishes papal authority in Scotland.
Art and sciencePublication of Jing P'Ing Mei (The Plum in the Golden Vase) by Hsu Wei, the first socially realistic Chinese novel.
InternationalDeath of Francis II of France. He is succeeded by his brother Charles IX with his mother, Catherine de Medici, as Regent. His widow, Mary, Queen of Scots, returns to Scotland the following year.
Akbar, Mughal Emperor of India, establishes a new capital at Agra.
Exhibitions and displays
- 1517: Martin Luther and the English Reformation
Until 2 December
- His Picture in Little: Shakespeare, Hamlet and Tacita Dean
Until 28 May
- Votes for Women
Until 3 June
- Searching for Shakespeare
- Popular Prints of Victoria and Albert
- Nelson: before and after Trafalgar
- Gunpowder, Treason and Plot
- Chartist Portraits
- Silhouettes display, 2004-05
- William Hazlitt's Spirit of the Age
- Return to Life: A New Look at the Portrait Bust
- Restoration Lives: Samuel Pepys and His Circle
- Theodore de Mayerne
- Mary, Queen of Scots: Fact and Fiction
- Mary, Queen of Scots
- Bank of America Merrill Lynch, Art Conservation Project
- Rebel women
- Rebel women test
- Portrait of the Day: Angela Burdett-Coutts
11 May, 12:30
- Portrait of the Day: Henry VIII & Katherine of Aragon
13 May, 12:30