Joanna of Navarre
6 of 3330 portraits matching these criteria:
- subject matching 'Jewellery - Crowns and tiaras'
Joanna of Navarre
by Elkington & Co, cast by Domenico Brucciani, after Unknown artist
electrotype, 1875, based on a work of circa 1408-1427
43 in. (1092 mm) high
Artistsback to top
This portraitback to top
This electrotype is a copy from the upper part of the alabaster figure of the queen on the double tomb with her husband, Henry IV, in Canterbury Cathedral. The couple wear identical crowns. It is one of a series of electrotype reproductions of tomb effigies made for the National Portrait Gallery by Elkington & Co in the 1870s. An electrotype sculpture of this type is made by electro-deposition of copper onto a mould or cast of an object. The electrotype could then be patinated like bronze.
Linked publicationsback to top
- Smartify image discovery app
- Saywell, David; Simon, Jacob, Complete Illustrated Catalogue, 2004, p. 338
- Strong, Roy, Tudor and Jacobean Portraits, 1969, p. 182
- Williamson, David, Kings and Queens, 2010, p. 64
- Williamson, David, The National Portrait Gallery: History of the Kings and Queens of England, 1998, pp. 66&67
View a wide collection of video content on our YouTube channel from past projects to our latest films.
Artist and sitter interviews
Get insights into creating portraiture from BP Portrait Award 2020 artists and their sitters.
Watch our film created to say ‘goodbye’ to the Gallery before we closed for our major transformation project.
- Mary, Queen of Scots: Fact and Fiction
- Bronze sculpture founders: a short history
- Silhouettes display, 2004-05
- Return to Life: A New Look at the Portrait Bust
- 2019 Anniversaries
- William Hazlitt's Spirit of the Age
- Making History: Printed Portraiture in Tudor and Stuart Britain
- Restoration Lives: Samuel Pepys and His Circle
- Brilliant Women
- Chartist Portraits
- Mary, Queen of Scots
- Nelson: before and after Trafalgar
- Bank of America Merrill Lynch, Art Conservation Project
- Rebel women
- Theodore de Mayerne
- Tudor and Elizabethan matching pairs
- Popular Prints of Victoria and Albert
- Gunpowder, Treason and Plot
- Searching for Shakespeare
Tell us more
Framed & unframed prints
Choose your favourite portrait from our Collection as a framed or unframed print for your home.