- Extended Catalogue Entry
by William Hilton, after Joseph Severn
oil on canvas, based on a work of circa 1822
30 in. x 25 in. (762 mm x 635 mm)
Sitterback to top
- John Keats (1795-1821), Poet. Sitter in 15 portraits, Artist associated with 2 portraits.
Artistsback to top
Linked publicationsback to top
- Cooper, John, Great Britons: The Great Debate, 2002, p. 14
- Holmes, Richard, The Romantic Poets and Their Circle, 2013, p. 111
- Holmes, Richard, Insights: The Romantic Poets and Their Circle, 2005, p. 92
- Saywell, David; Simon, Jacob, Complete Illustrated Catalogue, 2004, p. 346
- Walker, Richard, Regency Portraits, 1985, p. 288
Events of 1822back to top
Current affairsLord Castlereagh (the Marquis of Londonderry) commits suicide after a blackmail campaign against him.
Tory cabinet joined by liberals George Canning and Robert Peel. Canning is appointed Foreign Secretary.
Art and scienceJohn Nash completes the remodelling of the King's villa, the Brighton Pavilion and begins plans for the new layout of Regent Street and Regent's Park.
The Caledonian Canal opens to link eastern to western Scotland.
The Sunday Times is founded.
InternationalDavid Wilkie exhibits celebrated Chelsea Pensioners at the Royal Academy to commemorate the Battle of Waterloo. It proves so popular a rail has to be erected to protect it.
First major failure of the potato crop in Ireland. A large-scale public works programme is implemented to provide employment.
Develop your art skills
Discover our BP Next Generation short films made by artists. Follow step by step guides in drawing and painting techniques.
Hold Still photography workshop
Reflect on your own experiences of lockdown through this easy-to-do from home, photographic exercise.
Draw Like a Renaissance Master
Revisit The Encounter exhibition and learn about Renaissance and Baroque drawing methods and materials.
Tell us more
Framed & unframed prints
Choose your favourite portrait from our Collection as a framed or unframed print for your home.