Sir Thomas Lawrence
1 of 102 portraits matching these criteria:
- set matching 'Drawings of prominent people by Brockedon'
- Extended Catalogue Entry
Sir Thomas Lawrence
by William Brockedon
14 3/4 in. x 9 5/8 in. (375 mm x 245 mm)
Transferred from National Gallery, 1994
Sitterback to top
- Sir Thomas Lawrence (1769-1830), Portrait painter, collector and President of the Royal Academy. Sitter in 25 portraits, Artist associated with 687 portraits.
Artistback to top
- William Brockedon (1787-1854), Painter, writer and inventor. Artist associated with 112 portraits, Sitter in 2 portraits.
Linked publicationsback to top
Events of 1820back to top
Current affairsGeorge III dies at Windsor Castle on 29 January and George IV ascends to the throne.
'Trial of Queen Caroline' in the House of Lords; Parliament drops the Bill which was to legitimise a divorce between Caroline and George IV.
Cato Street Conspiracy to assassinate the cabinet discovered. Arthur Thistlewood and fellow conspirators are hung.
Art and scienceSir Thomas Lawrence becomes President of the Royal Academy.
Astronomical Society is set up by John Herschel and Charles Babbage.
First iron steamship is launched.
InternationalActor, Edmund Kean goes on a successful tour of America after making his name at the Drury Lane Theatre.
Revolutions begin in Spain, Portugal and Naples.
The famous ancient Greek statue of the Venus de Milo is rediscovered on the Island of Melos and purchased by the Louvre in Paris.
- William Hazlitt's Spirit of the Age
- Thomas Lawrence Portraits
- Thomas Lawrence: Regency Power and Brilliance minisite
- Thomas Lawrence and picture framing
- 2. Lawrence at work
- My Favourite Portrait by Jeremy Paxman
- Director's Trail by Nicholas Cullinan
- Party Trail
- 2019 Anniversaries
- Duplicate of Thomas Lawrence Portraits
- Bronze sculpture founders: a short history
- COMING HOME: William Wilberforce
From 21 September
The Ferens Art Gallery, Hull