Sir Thomas Lawrence
1 portrait on display in Room 17 at the National Portrait Gallery
- Extended Catalogue Entry
Sir Thomas Lawrence
by Edward Hodges Baily
marble bust, 1830
27 1/2 in. (699 mm) high
Click on the links below to find out more:
Sitterback to top
- Sir Thomas Lawrence (1769-1830), Portrait painter, collector and President of the Royal Academy. Sitter in 25 portraits, Artist associated with 686 portraits.
Artistback to top
- Edward Hodges Baily (1788-1867), Sculptor, designer and modeller of silver. Artist associated with 16 portraits, Sitter in 6 portraits.
Linked publicationsback to top
Events of 1830back to top
Current affairsGeorge IV dies at Windsor on 26 June; William IV succeeds to the throne.
Duke of Wellington resigns as Prime Minister to be succeeded by Earl Grey.
'Captain Swing' disturbances among agricultural districts in southern England. Taking their name from a mythical leader, hundreds of labourers break the threshing machines that threaten their winter employment.
Art and scienceLiverpool and Manchester Railway opens; MP William Huskisson is run down by a train and killed at the inaugural ceremony.
William Cobbett publishes Rural Rides; a nostalgic tribute to the English countryside which expresses dismay at the sweeping changes taking place.
InternationalJuly Revolution in France overthrows the Bourbon dynasty. Charles X goes into exile in England and Louis Philippe, Duc d'Orleans is proclaimed King by the Chamber of Deputies who fear European opposition to the declaration of a second Republic.
See this portrait
On display in Room 17 at the National Portrait Gallery
- Bronze sculpture founders: a short history
- 18th Century and Regency Portraits
- Collected Archives - J-M
- Thomas Lawrence Portraits
- Thomas Lawrence: Regency Power and Brilliance minisite
- Thomas Lawrence and picture framing
- 2. Lawrence at work
- My Favourite Portrait by Jeremy Paxman
- Director's Trail by Nicholas Cullinan
- Party Trail
Tell us more
Help us conserve a portrait of a female adventurer, poet and medical pioneer