1 of 5 portraits of Edward Lear
- Extended Catalogue Entry
by Unknown artist
silhouette, circa 1830s
2 1/2 in. x 1 1/8 in. (63 mm x 30 mm)
Given by Francis Adeney Allen, 1915
Sitterback to top
- Edward Lear (1812-1888), Artist and author of 'A Book of Nonsense'. Sitter in 5 portraits, Artist of 1 portrait.
Linked publicationsback to top
- Saywell, David; Simon, Jacob, Complete Illustrated Catalogue, 2004, p. 371
Events of 1830back to top
Current affairsGeorge IV dies at Windsor on 26 June; William IV succeeds to the throne.
Duke of Wellington resigns as Prime Minister to be succeeded by Earl Grey.
'Captain Swing' disturbances among agricultural districts in southern England. Taking their name from a mythical leader, hundreds of labourers break the threshing machines that threaten their winter employment.
Art and scienceLiverpool and Manchester Railway opens; MP William Huskisson is run down by a train and killed at the inaugural ceremony.
William Cobbett publishes Rural Rides; a nostalgic tribute to the English countryside which expresses dismay at the sweeping changes taking place.
InternationalJuly Revolution in France overthrows the Bourbon dynasty. Charles X goes into exile in England and Louis Philippe, Duc d'Orleans is proclaimed King by the Chamber of Deputies who fear European opposition to the declaration of a second Republic.
- Silhouettes display, 2004-05
- Later Victorian Portraits Catalogue
- Searching for Shakespeare
- Brilliant Women
- Popular Prints of Victoria and Albert
- Nelson: before and after Trafalgar
- Making History: Printed Portraiture in Tudor and Stuart Britain
- Gunpowder, Treason and Plot
- Chartist Portraits
- William Hazlitt's Spirit of the Age
- Return to Life: A New Look at the Portrait Bust
- Restoration Lives: Samuel Pepys and His Circle
- Theodore de Mayerne
- Mary, Queen of Scots: Fact and Fiction
- Mary, Queen of Scots
- Bank of America Merrill Lynch, Art Conservation Project
- Rebel women
- 2019 Anniversaries
- Tudor and Elizabethan matching pairs
Tell us more
Framed & unframed prints