© Wyndham Lewis and the estate of the late Mrs G A Wyndham Lewis by kind permission of the Wyndham Lewis Memorial Trust (a registered charity)
by Wyndham Lewis
ink and wash, 1932
12 in. x 9 in. (304 mm x 228 mm)
Sitterback to top
- (Percy) Wyndham Lewis (1882-1957), Painter and novelist. Sitter in 18 portraits, Artist associated with 39 portraits.
Artistback to top
- (Percy) Wyndham Lewis (1882-1957), Painter and novelist. Artist associated with 39 portraits, Sitter in 18 portraits.
Linked publicationsback to top
- Bakewell, Michael, Character Sketches: Fitzrovia: London's Bohemia, 1999, p. 22
- Edwards, Paul, Wyndham Lewis Portraits, 2008 (accompanying the exhibition at the National Portrait Gallery from 3 July to 19 October 2008), p. 28
- Rideal, Liz, Insights: Self-portraits, 2005, p. 38
- Rogers, Malcolm, Master Drawings from the National Portrait Gallery, 1993 (accompanying the exhibition at the National Portrait Gallery from 5 August to 23 October 1994), p. 172
- Saywell, David; Simon, Jacob, Complete Illustrated Catalogue, 2004, p. 380
Events of 1932back to top
Current affairsSir Oswald Mosley forms the British Union of Fascists. Mosley's party - nicknamed the Black Shirts after their uniform - was founded along the lines of Mussolini's Fascist Party in Italy and called for the replacement of parliamentary democracy with a system of elected executives. During the war Mosley was interned and the BUF was proscribed.
Art and scienceJohn Cockcroft and Ernest Walton 'split the atom'. In fact, Cockcroft and Walton's achievement was to change the nucleus of one element into another by bombarding it with protons, rather than to literally spit an atom apart. Nevertheless 'splitting the atom' has become the popular way of describing this important stage in the development of nuclear technology.
InternationalSaudi Arabia is formed by the unification of the Kingdoms of Hijaz and Nejd under King Abdul Aziz.
Iraq is granted independence from the British mandate established by the League of Nations in 1919-20.
Tell us more
Help us conserve a portrait of a female adventurer, poet and medical pioneer