David Lloyd George
David Lloyd George
by Sir William Orpen
oil on canvas, 1927
35 in. x 37 in. (889 mm x 940 mm)
Sitterback to top
- David Lloyd George, 1st Earl Lloyd-George (1863-1945), Prime Minister. Sitter associated with 134 portraits.
Artistback to top
- Sir William Orpen (1878-1931), Painter, Royal Academician. Artist associated with 29 portraits, Sitter in 28 portraits.
Linked publicationsback to top
- Audio Guide
- Smartify image discovery app
- Parris, Matthew, Heroes and Villains: Scarfe at the National Portrait Gallery, 2003 (accompanying the exhibition at the National Portrait Gallery from 30 September 2003 to 4 April 2004), p. 92
- Saywell, David; Simon, Jacob, Complete Illustrated Catalogue, 2004, p. 385
Events of 1927back to top
Current affairsThe United Kingdom of Great Britain and Ireland is renamed the United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland, acknowledging the full independence of the Irish Free State, led at the time by W.T. Cosgrave, the the first President of the Executive Council of the Irish Free State.
Art and scienceThe BBC gains its Royal Charter making it a public corporation and a public service broadcaster accountable to its audience. John Reith became the first Director General with the directive to 'inform, educate and entertain.'
InternationalStalin expels Leon Trotsky from the Soviet Communist Party, giving himself greater control of the party and country by ousting opposition elements.
Tudor and Elizabethan matching pairs
Test your memory by playing our matching pairs game. Three levels of difficulty make it fun for the whole family.
Regency familiar faces
Rearrange tiles to uncover sitters from the Gallery's Collection by playing our puzzle game.
Who do you think you were?
Answer a few lifestyle questions about the elizabethan period and discover your inner Elizabethan!
Tell us more
Framed & unframed prints