copy attributed to George Perfect Harding, after Unknown artist
watercolour, 19th century, based on a work of 1567
8 1/4 in. x 6 1/4 in. (210 mm x 159 mm)
Bequeathed by Frederick Louis Lucas, 1931
Artistsback to top
Linked publicationsback to top
- Saywell, David; Simon, Jacob, Complete Illustrated Catalogue, 2004, p. 393
Events of 1567back to top
Current affairsHenry Stuart, Lord Darnley is murdered at Kirk O'Field, Edinburgh with the Earl of Bothwell implicated. Bothwell abducts and imprisons Mary Queen of Scots at Dunbar Castle and marry less than a month later. Protestant lords rise up. Bothwell flees the country and Mary is captured and imprisoned for conspiring in Darnley's murder.
Mary abdicates and her one-year old son is proclaimed King James VI of Scotland, with James Stuart, Earl of Moray as regent.
Art and scienceThe scholar William Salesbury and Richard Davies, Bishop of St David's translate the New Testament and the Book of Common Prayer into Welsh.
InternationalFernando, Duke of Alva arrives in the Netherlands with 10,000 troops. Ruling as military governor under Philip II of Spain, Alva initiates a reign of terror in an attempt to eradicate Protestantism.
The Conspiracy of Meaux opens the Second War of Religion in France. Huguenot (French Protestant) forces attempt to capture Charles IX of France. The King flees to Paris and the Huguenot leader, Louis de Bourbon, Prince of Condé lays siege to the city.
Watch our playlist exploring scientific techniques used by the Gallery to unlock the secrets behind our Tudor portraits.
Subjects and themes
Search the collection by themes - from pets to weddings!
Black History Month
Take a tour exploring our Collection created by Alayo Akinkugbe for Black History Month in 2020.
A Picture of Health
Learn about pioneers in medicine, health and social reform from 1840 to 1920.
- Silhouettes display, 2004-05
- Return to Life: A New Look at the Portrait Bust
- 2019 Anniversaries
- William Hazlitt's Spirit of the Age
- Making History: Printed Portraiture in Tudor and Stuart Britain
- Mary, Queen of Scots: Fact and Fiction
- Restoration Lives: Samuel Pepys and His Circle
- Brilliant Women
- Chartist Portraits
- Mary, Queen of Scots
- Nelson: before and after Trafalgar
- Bank of America Merrill Lynch, Art Conservation Project
- Rebel women
- Theodore de Mayerne
- Tudor and Elizabethan matching pairs
- Popular Prints of Victoria and Albert
- Gunpowder, Treason and Plot
- Searching for Shakespeare
Tell us more
Framed & unframed prints
Choose your favourite portrait from our Collection as a framed or unframed print for your home.