4 of 88 portraits matching these criteria:
- subject matching 'The Great War: Made in 1915'
by Francis Derwent Wood
bronze bust, 1915
23 1/2 in. (597 mm) high
Given by the sitter's widow, Mary Augusta McEvoy (née Spencer Edwards), 1938
Sitterback to top
- Ambrose McEvoy (1878-1927), Painter. Sitter in 7 portraits, Artist associated with 5 portraits.
Artistback to top
- Francis Derwent Wood (1871-1926), Sculptor. Artist of 1 portrait, Sitter in 6 portraits.
Linked publicationsback to top
- Smartify image discovery app
- Curtis, Penelope; Funnell, Peter; Kalinsky, Nicola, Return to Life: A New Look at the Portrait Bust, 2000 (accompanying the exhibition at the National Portrait Gallery from 7 February to 30 May 2001), p. 14
- Saywell, David; Simon, Jacob, Complete Illustrated Catalogue, 2004, p. 401
Linked displays and exhibitionsback to top
- Return to Life: A New Look at the Portrait Bust (7 February 2001 - 20 May 2001)
Events of 1915back to top
Current affairsThe Times Newspaper reports that Britain's Army is suffering from a lack of Ammunition Shells, pointing the finger of blame at the Liberal government. The Shell Scandal forced Asquith to form a new coalition government, bringing Conservatives into the cabinet and demonstrating the need to gear the whole country's economy towards the war effort.
Art and scienceAs the threat from aerial attack increased, the decision was made to protect the national art collections by storing them in basements or in locations outside London. On 15th October the National Portrait Gallery under the directorship of Sir Charles John Holmes closed its doors to the public and removed paintings from the walls.
InternationalStalemate ensues on the Western Front and trench warfare begins as both sides take up defensive positions. While offensive strategies become futile, serious loss of life occurs with the first deployment of tanks and the use of poison gas.
Albert Einstein publishes his General Theory of Relativity, a model of gravitation and cosmology.
Tell us more
Framed & unframed prints