- Extended Catalogue Entry
by Phil May
pen, brush and pencil on paper, 1894
6 1/8 in. x 4 3/4 in. (157 mm x 122 mm) overall
Given by Marion Harry Spielmann, 1939
Sitterback to top
- Philip William ('Phil') May (1864-1903), Cartoonist and silhouette artist. Sitter in 15 portraits, Artist of 20 portraits.
Artistback to top
- Philip William ('Phil') May (1864-1903), Cartoonist and silhouette artist. Artist of 20 portraits, Sitter in 15 portraits.
Linked publicationsback to top
- Rogers, Malcolm, Master Drawings from the National Portrait Gallery, 1993 (accompanying the exhibition at the National Portrait Gallery from 5 August to 23 October 1994), p. 138
- Saywell, David; Simon, Jacob, Complete Illustrated Catalogue, 2004, p. 422
Linked displays and exhibitionsback to top
- 'The artist's cause at heart': M.H. Spielmann, Collector and Donor (18 November 2014 - 1 August 2015)
Events of 1894back to top
Current affairsFollowing Gladstone's resignation, Queen Victoria calls on the Liberal MP Archibald Primrose, the 5th Earl of Rosebery to become Prime Minister, a position he reluctantly accepts. His government is largely unsuccessful as the Tory-dominated House of Lords stop the whole of the Liberal's domestic legislation, and his foreign policy plans are defeated by internal Liberal disagreements.
Art and scienceThe Prince of Wales opens Tower Bridge, built over the Thames to improve access to the growing commercial district of the East End. The bridge was constructed from two bascules, or leaves, which could be raised to allow ships to pass underneath.
Rudyard Kipling's hugely popular collection of children's stories and poems, The Jungle Book, is published. The stories, based on Kipling's own experiences in India, have been adapted many times.
InternationalThe arrest and court-martial of Captain Alfred Dreyfus, a Jewish artillery officer, opens up divisions in France over anti-semitism continuing until Dreyfus's exoneration in 1906. The French President Sadi Carnot is assassinated by an Italian anarchist in Lyon.
Nicholas II becomes Tsar of Russia following the death of Alexander III.
Japan and China go to war over control of Korea, with the more modern Japanese army winning an easy victory.
Tell us more
Framed & unframed prints