John Stuart Mill
2 of 20 portraits of John Stuart Mill
- Extended Catalogue Entry
John Stuart Mill
replica by George Frederic Watts
oil on canvas, 1873
26 in. x 21 in. (660 mm x 533 mm) overall
Given by George Frederic Watts, 1895
Sitterback to top
- John Stuart Mill (1806-1873), Social philosopher, economist and advocate of women's rights. Sitter in 20 portraits.
Artistback to top
- George Frederic Watts (1817-1904), Painter and sculptor. Artist associated with 91 portraits, Sitter in 43 portraits.
This portraitback to top
A replica of the portrait commissioned by Sir Charles Dilke. Watts found Mill, who died shortly after he sat for the original, to be 'sensitive to all that was beautiful in form and poetic in thought'.
Linked publicationsback to top
- Audio Guide
- Ormond, Richard, Early Victorian Portraits, 1973, p. 316
- Saywell, David; Simon, Jacob, Complete Illustrated Catalogue, 2004, p. 429
Events of 1873back to top
Current affairsThe public entertainment centre Alexandra Palace, designed by architect Owen Jones (associated with the Crystal Palace) and built between Wood Green and Muswell Hill in North London, burns down within sixteen days of opening. Named after Alexandra of Denmark, married to Prince Edward, the Prince of Wales, the palace was quickly rebuilt, and has since been used as a transmission centre for the BBC, and as a musical entertainment venue.
Art and scienceEdith Coleridge edits her late mother Sara Coleridge's Memoir and Letters. Sara, the daughter of the poet and philosopher Samuel Taylor Coleridge, was an author, translator and editor of her father's works.
InternationalInspired by prospectors' demands for better quality trousers during the 1850s Gold Rush, Levi Strauss develops a trouser made with twilled cotton cloth from France called 'serge de Nimes', later known as denim. This year, he patents the process of putting rivets in the trousers for strength, introducing 'blue jeans' to the world.
See this portrait
On display in Room 33 at the National Portrait Gallery
- G.F Watts - Selected Letters
- WebQuest: Votes For Women
- G.F. Watts Portraits: Fame & Beauty in Victorian Society
- Collected Archives - T-Z
- The Watts Collection
- Watts handlist
- Room 26: Portraits by G.F. Watts
- Only Connect
- Only Connect - installation video
- Room 26: G.F. Watts Bicentenary
- Princes of Victorian Bohemia: Photographs by David Wilkie Wynfield
- Julia Margaret Cameron:
'Poets, prophets, painters and lovely maidens'
- Victorian Portraits
- Votes for Women quiz
- Portrait of the Day: Julie Margaret Cameron
15 December, 12:30