by Unknown artist
oil on canvas, feigned oval, circa 1629
23 1/2 in. x 19 in. (597 mm x 483 mm)
This portraitback to top
This portrait was recorded by John Aubrey: 'His [Milton's] widow has his picture drawne very well & like when a Cambridge schollar. He was so faire that they called him the Lady of Christ's coll[ege]...'.
Related worksback to top
Linked publicationsback to top
- Audio Guide
- Piper, David, The English Face, 1992, p. 86
- Saywell, David; Simon, Jacob, Complete Illustrated Catalogue, 2004, p. 432
Subjects & Themesback to top
Events of 1629back to top
Current affairsIn Parliament, opponents of Charles I issue a protestation condemning his policies; Charles subsequently orders the Speaker, Sir John Finch, to adjourn Parliament, and after much turmoil, the House is dissolved. Charles I would now govern for eleven years without recourse to Parliament, known as his Personal Rule.
Art and scienceApothcary and herbalist, John Parkinson publishes Paradisi in sole paradisus terrestris, the first published book on British gardening, describing over 1000 plants. In dedicating it to the queen, Henrietta Maria, Parkinson is given the title, botanicus regius primarius by Charles I.
InternationalPhilip IV of Spain sends Dutch painter, Sir Peter Paul Rubens as
an emissary to open peace negotiations with England. His mission is hailed a success by both countries. While in England he painted several portraits, including Thomas Howard, Earl of Arundel.
The Treaty of Suza ends the Anglo-French conflict.
See this portrait
On display in Room 6 at the National Portrait Gallery
Recommended Exhibitions & displays
- 1517: Martin Luther and the English Reformation
Until 2 December
- Silhouettes display, 2004-05
- Return to Life: A New Look at the Portrait Bust
- William Hazlitt's Spirit of the Age
- Making History: Printed Portraiture in Tudor and Stuart Britain
- Mary, Queen of Scots: Fact and Fiction
- Restoration Lives: Samuel Pepys and His Circle
- Brilliant Women
- Chartist Portraits
- Mary, Queen of Scots
- Nelson: before and after Trafalgar
- Bank of America Merrill Lynch, Art Conservation Project
- Rebel women
- Theodore de Mayerne
- Popular Prints of Victoria and Albert
- Gunpowder, Treason and Plot
- Searching for Shakespeare
- Duplicate of Bank of America Merrill Lynch, Art Conservation Project
- The Stuarts