1 of 72 portraits of John Milton
by Unknown artist
oil on canvas, feigned oval, circa 1629
23 1/2 in. x 19 in. (597 mm x 483 mm)
This portraitback to top
This portrait was recorded by John Aubrey: 'His [Milton's] widow has his picture drawne very well & like when a Cambridge schollar. He was so faire that they called him the Lady of Christ's coll[ege]...'.
Related worksback to top
Linked publicationsback to top
Events of 1629back to top
Current affairsIn Parliament, opponents of Charles I issue a protestation condemning his policies; Charles subsequently orders the Speaker, Sir John Finch, to adjourn Parliament, and after much turmoil, the House is dissolved. Charles I would now govern for eleven years without recourse to Parliament, known as his Personal Rule.
Art and scienceApothcary and herbalist, John Parkinson publishes Paradisi in sole paradisus terrestris, the first published book on British gardening, describing over 1000 plants. In dedicating it to the queen, Henrietta Maria, Parkinson is given the title, botanicus regius primarius by Charles I.
InternationalPhilip IV of Spain sends Dutch painter, Sir Peter Paul Rubens as
an emissary to open peace negotiations with England. His mission is hailed a success by both countries. While in England he painted several portraits, including Thomas Howard, Earl of Arundel.
The Treaty of Suza ends the Anglo-French conflict.
- Searching for Shakespeare
- Brilliant Women
- Popular Prints of Victoria and Albert
- Nelson: before and after Trafalgar
- Making History: Printed Portraiture in Tudor and Stuart Britain
- Gunpowder, Treason and Plot
- Chartist Portraits
- Silhouettes display, 2004-05
- William Hazlitt's Spirit of the Age
- Return to Life: A New Look at the Portrait Bust
- Restoration Lives: Samuel Pepys and His Circle
- Theodore de Mayerne
- Mary, Queen of Scots: Fact and Fiction
- Mary, Queen of Scots
- Bank of America Merrill Lynch, Art Conservation Project
- Rebel women
- 2019 Anniversaries
- Tudor and Elizabethan matching pairs
Tell us more
Framed & unframed prints