by Unknown artist
marble bust, after 1674
18 in. (457 mm) high
Given by Denis Saurat, 1950
Linked publicationsback to top
- Saywell, David; Simon, Jacob, Complete Illustrated Catalogue, 2004, p. 433
Events of 1674back to top
Current affairsPolitical society, the Green Ribbon Club, begins meeting. Initially composed of disaffected lawyers and republicans, the club opposed what it believed was a gradual shift towards a pro-Catholic government under Charles II. Political economist, Slingsby Bethel is an early member.
Art and scienceRevision of John Dryden and William Davenant's adaptation of William Shakespeare's, The Tempest, into a semi-opera is probably accomplished by playwright, Thomas Shadwell. The adaptation popularised operatic entertainment. Shadwell's subsequent dramatic musical score for his play Psyche (1675), became the first to be published in England.
InternationalLord treasurer, Thomas Osborne, argues for a separate peace deal with Holland as concerns grow in Parliament over England's alliance with France in the Third Anglo-Dutch War. Refused further funds for the war, Charles II signs the Treaty of Westminster ending English participation in the conflict.
Develop your art skills
Discover our BP Next Generation short films made by artists. Follow step by step guides in drawing and painting techniques.
Hold Still photography workshop
Reflect on your own experiences of lockdown through this easy-to-do from home, photographic exercise.
Draw Like a Renaissance Master
Revisit The Encounter exhibition and learn about Renaissance and Baroque drawing methods and materials.
- Silhouettes display, 2004-05
- Return to Life: A New Look at the Portrait Bust
- 2019 Anniversaries
- William Hazlitt's Spirit of the Age
- Making History: Printed Portraiture in Tudor and Stuart Britain
- Mary, Queen of Scots: Fact and Fiction
- Restoration Lives: Samuel Pepys and His Circle
- Brilliant Women
- Chartist Portraits
- Mary, Queen of Scots
- Nelson: before and after Trafalgar
- Bank of America Merrill Lynch, Art Conservation Project
- Rebel women
- Theodore de Mayerne
- Tudor and Elizabethan matching pairs
- Popular Prints of Victoria and Albert
- Gunpowder, Treason and Plot
- Searching for Shakespeare