2 of 4 portraits of John Minton
by John Minton
oil on canvas, circa 1953
14 in. x 10 in. (356 mm x 254 mm)
Purchased with help from the Contemporary Art Society and the Hon. Michael Astor Charitable Fund, 1968
Sitterback to top
- John Minton (1917-1957), Painter and illustrator. Sitter in 4 portraits, Artist of 3 portraits.
Artistback to top
- John Minton (1917-1957), Painter and illustrator. Artist of 3 portraits, Sitter in 4 portraits.
Linked publicationsback to top
- Fryer, Jonathan, Character Sketches: Soho in the Fifties and Sixties, 1998, p. 31
- Rideal, Liz, Insights: Self-portraits, 2005, p. 16
- Saywell, David; Simon, Jacob, Complete Illustrated Catalogue, 2004, p. 433
Events of 1953back to top
Current affairsA combination of low pressure in the North Sea, hurricane force winds, and high tides result in the Great Flood of 1953. With no warning system many were trapped in their homes as 20-foot waves crashed on the coast; hundreds were killed at sea and on the east coast.
John Hunt's British Expedition conquers Everest. News of the achievement reached Britain on the day of Elizabeth's coronation.
Art and scienceFrances Crick and James Watson discover the double helix structure of DNA. Uncovering DNA's chemical make-up revolutionised our understanding of the building blocks of life.
Ian Fleming publishes his first James Bond novel, Casino Royal.
Chad Varah founds 'The Samaritans' helpline.