Sir Graham Moore
- Extended Catalogue Entry
Sir Graham Moore
by Sir Thomas Lawrence
oil on canvas, exhibited 1792
30 1/8 in. x 25 1/4 in. (764 mm x 642 mm)
Given by Miss Mary Carrick Moore, 1898
Sitterback to top
- Sir Graham Moore (1764-1843), Admiral; brother of Sir John Moore. Sitter in 2 portraits.
Artistback to top
- Sir Thomas Lawrence (1769-1830), Portrait painter, collector and President of the Royal Academy. Artist associated with 686 portraits, Sitter in 25 portraits.
This portraitback to top
Portrayed in captain's full-dress uniform. The carved frame in the Italian Maratta style is of a type used by Lawrence for his early portraits.
Linked publicationsback to top
- Saywell, David; Simon, Jacob, Complete Illustrated Catalogue, 2004, p. 438
- Simon, Jacob, The Art of the Picture Frame: Artists, Patrons and the Framing of Portraits in Britain, 1997 (accompanying the exhibition at the National Portrait Gallery from 8 November 1996 - 9 February 1997), p. 69, 167
- Walker, Richard, Regency Portraits, 1985, p. 341
Events of 1792back to top
Current affairsThe famous seven year trial of Warren Hastings, Governor-General of Bengal, on charges of embezzlement and murder, ends with his acquittal. Pro-Revolutionary philosopher Joseph Priestley's house is destroyed by a mob on the anniversary of the fall of the Bastille. Their actions are later seen as a key moment in the defeat of Enlightenment ideals in England.
Art and scienceMary Wollstonecraft publishes A Vindication of the Rights of Woman; a radical work which called on women to be allies to one another; fearless in their support and free in their criticism.
Sir Joshua Reynolds dies and is succeeded by Benjamin West as President of the Royal Academy.
InternationalThe mob invades the Tuileries and the French Royal Family is imprisoned marking the end of France's experiment with constitutional monarchy and the declaration of the first French Republic.
The Revolutionary Commune is established in Paris.
France declares war on Austria and then Prussia.
- Thomas Lawrence: Regency Power and Brilliance minisite
- Thomas Lawrence and picture framing
- William Hazlitt's Spirit of the Age
- Director's Trail by Nicholas Cullinan
- Party Trail
- Thomas Lawrence Portraits
- My Favourite Portrait by Jeremy Paxman
- 2. Lawrence at work
- Bronze sculpture founders: a short history