3 of 4726 portraits matching these criteria:
- subject matching 'Etching'
- Extended Catalogue Entry
by Robert Dighton
hand-coloured etching, 1803
10 7/8 in. x 7 in. (276 mm x 178 mm)
Sitterback to top
- John Moore (1730-1805), Archbishop of Canterbury. Sitter associated with 11 portraits.
Artistback to top
- Robert Dighton (1751-1814), Portrait painter, caricaturist and actor. Artist associated with 318 portraits, Sitter in 4 portraits.
Related worksback to top
- NPG D19750: John Moore ('The Principal Arch of Lambeth Palace') (from same plate)
Linked publicationsback to top
- Ingamells, John, National Portrait Gallery: Mid-Georgian Portraits 1760-1790, 2004, p. 345
Subjects & Themesback to top
Events of 1803back to top
Current affairsThe Vice Society is formally established by John Reeves and his associates to campaign against blasphemy and immorality, particularly that perpetrated by Thomas Paine and the Edinburgh Review.
Art and scienceErasmus Darwin's Temple of Nature published posthumously. A scientific treaty in the form of an elaborate couplet poem, its content anticipated some of the evolutionary ideas developed by his grandson, Charles Darwin, fifty years later.
Construction of the Caledonian Canal begins.
InternationalWar with France resumes, sparking new fears of a cross-channel invasion.
United Irishman, Robert Emmett's attempted uprising in Dublin. Planned to coincide with Napoleon's expected invasion, it aimed to overthrow the English administration but ended in failure. Emmett is hanged along with several other conspirators.
Read our latest news and have your say.
Identify our Silhouettes
Join enthusiastic contributors who have already identified 155 sitters.
Tell us more about our Silvy sitters
Help us identify the sitters who visited Camille Silvy’s photographic studio during the 1860s.
Tell us more
Framed & unframed prints