- Extended Catalogue Entry
by John Linnell
oil on panel, 1833
12 1/4 in. x 10 in. (311 mm x 254 mm)
Sitterback to top
- William Mulready (1786-1863), Painter and illustrator. Sitter in 12 portraits, Artist associated with 5 portraits.
Artistback to top
- John Linnell (1792-1882), Painter. Artist associated with 68 portraits, Sitter in 8 portraits.
Linked publicationsback to top
- Cullen, Fintan; Foster, Roy, 'Conquering England': Ireland in Victorian England, 2005 (accompanying the exhibition at the National Portrait Gallery from 9 March - 19 June 2005), p. 66
- Ormond, Richard, Early Victorian Portraits, 1973, p. 327
- Saywell, David; Simon, Jacob, Complete Illustrated Catalogue, 2004, p. 447
Events of 1833back to top
Current affairsShaftesbury's Factory Act is passed regulating women's hours and providing for the education of children working in the textile industry.
Bank Act is passed, making Bank of England notes Britain's legal tender.
Art and scienceCharles Lamb publishes Last Essays of Elia after the enormous success of his earlier Essays. A comic allegorization of his humdrum clerical job they become one of the period's literary sensations.
Charles Dickens begins his series Sketches by Boz in the Monthly Magazine.