- Extended Catalogue Entry
by Sir Thomas Lawrence
10 1/8 in. x 7 3/4 in. (257 mm x 197 mm)
Given by Maud Constance Holland (née Walpole), 1948
Sitterback to top
- Horatio ('Horace') Walpole, 4th Earl of Orford (1717-1797), Writer and collector. Sitter associated with 20 portraits.
Artistback to top
- Sir Thomas Lawrence (1769-1830), Portrait painter, collector and President of the Royal Academy. Artist associated with 689 portraits, Sitter in 25 portraits.
Related worksback to top
Linked publicationsback to top
- Ingamells, John, National Portrait Gallery: Mid-Georgian Portraits 1760-1790, 2004, p. 370
- Rogers, Malcolm, Master Drawings from the National Portrait Gallery, 1993 (accompanying the exhibition at the National Portrait Gallery from 5 August to 23 October 1994), p. 76
- Saywell, David; Simon, Jacob, Complete Illustrated Catalogue, 2004, p. 470
Events of 1795back to top
Current affairsGeorge, Prince of Wales is forced to marry Caroline Amelia Elizabeth of Brunswick, despite having secretly married Maria Fitzherbert in 1785.
Widespread rioting prompts the introduction of the Speenhamland system of welfare supplements which are linked to the price of bread.
Treasonable Practices Act is passed against open criticism of government.
Art and scienceThe MP Matthew Gregory 'Monk' Lewis publishes his notorious gothic novel The Monk to success and scandal because of its immoral content.
Mungo Park explores the course of the River Niger.
InternationalWolfe Tone, founder of The Society of United Irishmen, departs for America after being implicated in high treason in Ireland. Exiled in Philadelphia, he soon leaves for France to ask revolutionaries for assistance.
Joseph Haydn composes the English Canzonettas during his second stay in London.
Become a Member
Enjoy access to special events, discounts on the Gallery online shop, supporters’ updates and much more
Bringing people together by sharing the portraits and stories of the men and women who have shaped our nation.
Sign up to receive information on exhibitions, collections and activities of the National Portrait Gallery, including special offers, shop products, and exclusive competitions.
- Thomas Lawrence: Regency Power and Brilliance minisite
- Thomas Lawrence and picture framing
- 2019 Anniversaries
- William Hazlitt's Spirit of the Age
- Director's Trail by Nicholas Cullinan
- Party Trail
- Thomas Lawrence Portraits
- My Favourite Portrait by Jeremy Paxman
- Regency familiar faces
- 2. Lawrence at work
- Bronze sculpture founders: a short history
- 2017 Anniversaries
Tell us more
Framed & unframed prints