Sir Richard Owen
1 portrait matching these criteria:
Sir Richard Owen
by Maull & Polyblank
albumen print, arched top, circa 1855
7 7/8 in. x 5 3/4 in. (200 mm x 146 mm)
Sitterback to top
- Sir Richard Owen (1804-1892), Naturalist, comparative anatomist and palaeontologist. Sitter in 34 portraits.
Linked publicationsback to top
- Cooper, John, Great Britons: The Great Debate, 2002, p. 117
- Hamilton, Peter; Hargreaves, Roger, The Beautiful and the Damned: The Creation of Identity in Nineteenth Century Portrait Photography, 2001 (accompanying the exhibition at the National Portrait Gallery from 6 June to 7 October 2001), p. 32,33
- Hart-Davis, Adam, Chain Reactions, 2000, p. 132
- Jeal, Tim; Calder, Angus; Driver, Felix; Cannizzo, Jeanne; Barringer, Tim; MacKenzie, John M., Livingstone: David Livingstone and the Victorian Encounter in Africa, 1996 (accompanying the exhibition at the National Portrait Gallery from 22 March - 7 July 1996), p. 102
- Saywell, David; Simon, Jacob, Complete Illustrated Catalogue, 2004, p. 473
Placesback to top
- Place made: United Kingdom: England, London (photographers' studio, 55 Gracechurch Street, London)
Portrait setback to top
Events of 1855back to top
Current affairsPalmerston becomes Prime Minister, leading a coalition government after Lord Aberdeen loses a vote of confidence over his handling of the Crimean war. Known by the nickname 'Lord Pumicestone' for his abrasive style, Palmerston is the oldest prime minister in history to take up the post for the first time at the age of 71.
Stamp duty on newspapers is abolished, creating the mass media market in the UK as newspapers became more widely and cheaply available.
Art and scienceFollowing a trip through the Holy Land to the Dead Sea, William Holman Hunt begins his symbolically-laden painting The Scapegoat.
John Millais marries Effie Gray, previously John Ruskin's wife, after their marriage was annulled that year.
The social theorist and sociologist Herbert Spencer and philosopher G. H. Lewes, publishes Principles of Pyschology, exploring a physiological basis to psychology.