Sir Anthony Panizzi
1 of 10 portraits of Sir Anthony Panizzi
- Extended Catalogue Entry
Sir Anthony Panizzi
by George Frederic Watts
oil on canvas, circa 1847
29 3/4 in. x 29 5/8 in. (756 mm x 752 mm)
Given by George Frederic Watts, 1895
Click on the links below to find out more:
Sitterback to top
- Sir Anthony Panizzi (1797-1879), Principal Librarian of the British Museum. Sitter in 10 portraits.
Artistback to top
- George Frederic Watts (1817-1904), Painter and sculptor. Artist associated with 91 portraits, Sitter in 43 portraits.
Linked publicationsback to top
- Ormond, Richard, Early Victorian Portraits, 1973, p. 361
- Saywell, David; Simon, Jacob, Complete Illustrated Catalogue, 2004, p. 478
Events of 1847back to top
Current affairsThe 10 Hours Factory Act passed, regulating working hours for women and children under the age of eighteen to effectively a maximum of ten hours a day.
The Communist League is founded in London, attended by Friedrich Engels. The League draws up a set of rules and aims, including overthrowing the bourgeoisie and empowering the Proleteriat, and ending class division, forming the basis of Karl Marx's The Communist Manifesto (1848).
Art and scienceA good year for novels: Emily Bronte's passionate, rebellious and gothic Wuthering Heightsis published, followed shortly by her sister Charlotte's 'Jane Eyre, a story of a governess's struggle for liberty from social and gender constrictions. Drawing on a similar vein of revolution and rebellious women, William Thackeray's satirical novel Vanity Fair is serialised.
InternationalThe Don Pacifico affair sparks an international incident, when the Jewish trader's business was burned in an anti-semitic attack in Athens. When the Greek government refused to compensate him, Gibraltar-born Pacifico appealed to the British government. Foreign Minister Palmerston sent a squadron into the Aegean in 1850 to seize goods of the equivalent value, leading to strained relations with Turkey and Russia, and heated debates in Parliament.
- G.F Watts - Selected Letters
- G.F. Watts Portraits: Fame & Beauty in Victorian Society
- Collected Archives - T-Z
- The Watts Collection
- Watts handlist
- Room 26: Portraits by G.F. Watts
- Only Connect
- Only Connect - installation video
- Room 26: G.F. Watts Bicentenary
- Princes of Victorian Bohemia: Photographs by David Wilkie Wynfield
- Julia Margaret Cameron:
'Poets, prophets, painters and lovely maidens'
- Portrait of the Day: Julie Margaret Cameron
15 December, 12:30
Tell us more
Help us conserve a portrait of a female adventurer, poet and medical pioneer