2 of 12 portraits of Samuel Pepys
- Extended Catalogue Entry
attributed to John Riley
oil on canvas, circa 1690
29 in. x 23 in. (737 mm x 584 mm) oval
Given by James Donald Milner, 1925
Artistback to top
- John Riley (1646-1691), Portrait painter. Artist associated with 101 portraits, Sitter in 1 portrait.
Linked publicationsback to top
- Smartify image discovery app
- Ingamells, John, Later Stuart Portraits 1685-1714, 2009, p. 212
- Ollard, Richard, Character Sketches: Samuel Pepys and His Circle, 2000, p. 7
- Ollard, Richard, Pepys and his Contemporaries, 2015, p. 100
- Saywell, David; Simon, Jacob, Complete Illustrated Catalogue, 2004, p. 488
Events of 1690back to top
Current affairsWilliam III, forced to leave England to fight in Ireland, empowers Mary II, through the Regency Act, to exercise authority in his absence. William, however, unwilling to rest power solely with Mary, appoints a council of nine statesmen directly answerable to the absent king.
Art and sciencePhilosopher, John Locke, publishes An Essay Concerning Humane Understanding and Treatises on Government, in which he sets out his notion that human understanding is derived from experience.
Naturalist, John Ray, publishes Synopsis methodica stirpium Britannicarum. It became the most consulted book for the classification of British plants.
InternationalWilliam III lands in Ireland with an allied force of Protestant fighters from European states to fight French and Irish troops under James II. William's victory at the Battle of the Boyne forces James to flee into permanent exile.
French defeat the English at the naval battle of Beachy Head.