Sir William Petre
Sir William Petre
by Unknown artist
oil on panel, 1567
36 3/8 in. x 28 in. (924 mm x 711 mm)
Linked publicationsback to top
- MacLeod, Catherine, Tudor and Jacobean Portraits in the National Portrait Gallery Collection at Montacute House, 1999, p. 11
- Saywell, David; Simon, Jacob, Complete Illustrated Catalogue, 2004, p. 490
- Strong, Roy, Tudor and Jacobean Portraits, 1969, p. 246
Events of 1567back to top
Current affairsHenry Stuart, Lord Darnley is murdered at Kirk O'Field, Edinburgh with the Earl of Bothwell implicated. Bothwell abducts and imprisons Mary Queen of Scots at Dunbar Castle and marry less than a month later. Protestant lords rise up. Bothwell flees the country and Mary is captured and imprisoned for conspiring in Darnley's murder.
Mary abdicates and her one-year old son is proclaimed King James VI of Scotland, with James Stuart, Earl of Moray as regent.
Art and scienceThe scholar William Salesbury and Richard Davies, Bishop of St David's translate the New Testament and the Book of Common Prayer into Welsh.
InternationalFernando, Duke of Alva arrives in the Netherlands with 10,000 troops. Ruling as military governor under Philip II of Spain, Alva initiates a reign of terror in an attempt to eradicate Protestantism.
The Conspiracy of Meaux opens the Second War of Religion in France. Huguenot (French Protestant) forces attempt to capture Charles IX of France. The King flees to Paris and the Huguenot leader, Louis de Bourbon, Prince of Condé lays siege to the city.
Make a donation
Support our Make History appeal and help us transform the Gallery.
A unique range of books, accessories and gifts. Every purchase supports the Gallery’s work.
Bring a familiar face home
Refresh your home gallery with a huge selection of custom art prints .
- Silhouettes display, 2004-05
- Return to Life: A New Look at the Portrait Bust
- 2019 Anniversaries
- William Hazlitt's Spirit of the Age
- Making History: Printed Portraiture in Tudor and Stuart Britain
- Mary, Queen of Scots: Fact and Fiction
- Restoration Lives: Samuel Pepys and His Circle
- Brilliant Women
- Chartist Portraits
- Mary, Queen of Scots
- Nelson: before and after Trafalgar
- Bank of America Merrill Lynch, Art Conservation Project
- Rebel women
- Theodore de Mayerne
- Tudor and Elizabethan matching pairs
- Popular Prints of Victoria and Albert
- Gunpowder, Treason and Plot
- Searching for Shakespeare
- Icons and Identities: Shakespeare to Winehouse
Until 17 July
Tell us more
Framed & unframed prints
Choose your favourite portrait from our Collection as a framed or unframed print for your home.