Philip II, King of Spain
Philip II, King of Spain
by Unknown artist
oil on canvas, circa 1580
72 1/2 in. x 41 in. (1842 mm x 1041 mm)
Sitterback to top
- Philip II, King of Spain (1527-1598), Husband of Mary I. Sitter associated with 27 portraits.
This portraitback to top
Philip is shown wearing a remarkable suit of gilt-etched armour.
Linked publicationsback to top
- Audio Guide
- Smartify image discovery app
- Clare Gittings, The National Portrait Gallery Book of Elizabeth I, 2006, p. 10
- Gittings, Clare, The National Portrait Gallery Book of The Tudors, 2006, p. 18
- Saywell, David; Simon, Jacob, Complete Illustrated Catalogue, 2004, p. 491
- Strong, Roy, Tudor and Jacobean Portraits, 1969, p. 248
Subjects & Themesback to top
Events of 1580back to top
Current affairsSir Francis Drake completes his three-year circumnavigation of the globe and returns to England in triumph.
Spanish and Italian soldiers land in Ireland to assist the Irish Catholic rebellion against English Protestant rule. Surrendering after the siege of Smerwick, the entire force is massacred under orders from the Lord Deputy of Ireland, Baron Grey of Wilton.
England signs an advantageous trade treaty with the Ottoman Empire.
Art and scienceThe French scholar and nobleman Michel de Montaigne publishes Essais (Essays), an influential development of the essay as a literary form.
Robert Smythson is employed by Sir Francis Willoughby as architect of Wollaton Hall, Nottingham, completed in 1588. It is one of the masterpieces of Elizabethan architecture.
InternationalPhilip II of Spain invades Portugal and is proclaimed King. His conquest unites the vast colonial empires of Spain and Portugal.
The heir to the French crown, François, Duke of Anjou is invited become the sovereign of the Netherlands by William of Orange, leader of the Dutch rebellion against Phillip II of Spain.
Recommended Exhibitions & displays
- 'This sceptred isle': Shakespeare and the Plantagenets
Until 28 June
- Peterloo 1819: Democracy, Protest and Justice
Until 1 May
- Everyday Icons: Collecting Popular Portraits
Until 1 March
- Making History: Printed Portraiture in Tudor and Stuart Britain
- Searching for Shakespeare
- Brilliant Women
- Popular Prints of Victoria and Albert
- Nelson: before and after Trafalgar
- Gunpowder, Treason and Plot
- Chartist Portraits
- Silhouettes display, 2004-05
- William Hazlitt's Spirit of the Age
- Return to Life: A New Look at the Portrait Bust
- Restoration Lives: Samuel Pepys and His Circle
- Theodore de Mayerne
- Mary, Queen of Scots: Fact and Fiction
- Mary, Queen of Scots
- Bank of America Merrill Lynch, Art Conservation Project
- Rebel women
- 2019 Anniversaries
- Portrait of the Day: Angela Burdett-Coutts
31 January, 12:30