- Extended Catalogue Entry
by Sir Henry Raeburn
oil on canvas, circa 1811
49 3/4 in. x 39 1/2 in. (1264 mm x 1003 mm)
Artistback to top
- Sir Henry Raeburn (1756-1823), Portrait painter. Artist associated with 75 portraits, Sitter in 3 portraits.
Linked publicationsback to top
- Smartify image discovery app
- Jordanova, Ludmilla, Defining Features: Scientific and Medical Portraits 1660-2000, 2000 (accompanying the exhibition at the National Portrait Gallery from 14 April to 17 September 2000), p. 103
- Saywell, David; Simon, Jacob, Complete Illustrated Catalogue, 2004, p. 497
- Walker, Richard, Regency Portraits, 1985, p. 397
Events of 1811back to top
Current affairsGeorge III's insanity is finally publicly admitted amidst arguments in Parliament over the credibility of his doctors. George, Prince of Wales is appointed Regent despite doubts over his capacity to rule effectively. This prompts the Prince's final split with the Catholic Mrs Fitzherbert, his clandestine wife
Art and scienceJohn Loudon McAdam presents his new road surfacing technique to Parliament.
Jane Austen publishes Sense and Sensibility.
Sculptor Francis Leggatt Chantrey exhibits at the Royal Academy for the first time with a celebrated bust of the radical John Horne Tooke.
InternationalBattle of Albuera; British invade French-held Badajoz in Spain under William Carr Beresford and are victorious over Marshal Soult.
Tudor and Elizabethan matching pairs
Test your memory by playing our matching pairs game. Three levels of difficulty make it fun for the whole family.
Regency familiar faces
Rearrange tiles to uncover sitters from the Gallery's Collection by playing our puzzle game.
Who do you think you were?
Answer a few lifestyle questions about the Elizabethan period and discover your inner Elizabethan!
Tell us more
Framed & unframed prints
Choose your favourite portrait from our Collection as a framed or unframed print for your home.