Sir Home Riggs Popham
- Extended Catalogue Entry
Sir Home Riggs Popham
by Unknown artist
oil on canvas, circa 1783
74 1/2 in. x 47 1/2 in. (1892 mm x 1207 mm)
Given by G.F. Popham Blyth, 1888
This portraitback to top
Popham served with Baird at the Cape of Good Hope (1806), with Beresford at Buenos Aires (1806) and with Gambier at Copenhagen (1807). This portrait shows him in lieutenant's full-dress uniform. Popham was promoted to lieutenant in June 1783 and is shown in the uniform of that date, the picture being painted probably shortly before his departure for South Africa to survey the Kaffraria coast. Naval uniform was altered by an Admiralty order of 17 November 1787, a significant innovation being the celebrated foul-anchor to the buttons.
Linked publicationsback to top
- Saywell, David; Simon, Jacob, Complete Illustrated Catalogue, 2004, p. 501
- Walker, Richard, Regency Portraits, 1985, p. 400
Events of 1783back to top
Current affairsWilliam Petty, 2nd Earl of Shelburne resigns as Prime Minister over the proposed peace terms with the United States. Frederick North, 2nd Earl of Guilford briefly forms a government with Charles James Fox in April but is succeeded by a government under William Pitt the Younger who, at the age of 24 becomes the youngest British Prime Minister ever to take office.
The highwayman John Austin is the last person to be publicly executed at Tyburn.
Art and sciencePhysician and natural philosopher Erasmus Darwin begins publication of A System of Vegetables, a translation from Latin of the work of Swedish botanist Carolus Linnaeus in which he coins many common English names of plants.
InternationalDefeat of Charles James Fox's India Bill in the House of Lords which aimed to assist ailing British East India Company.
American War of Independence: Treaty of Paris is signed by Britain, France, Spain and the United States, under which the British government recognises US independence. Britain begins to evacuate loyalists and the last British troops leave New York City three months later.
Recommended Exhibitions & displays
- 1517: Martin Luther and the English Reformation
Until 2 December
- Silhouettes display, 2004-05
- Return to Life: A New Look at the Portrait Bust
- William Hazlitt's Spirit of the Age
- Making History: Printed Portraiture in Tudor and Stuart Britain
- Mary, Queen of Scots: Fact and Fiction
- Restoration Lives: Samuel Pepys and His Circle
- Brilliant Women
- Chartist Portraits
- Mary, Queen of Scots
- Nelson: before and after Trafalgar
- Bank of America Merrill Lynch, Art Conservation Project
- Rebel women
- Theodore de Mayerne
- Popular Prints of Victoria and Albert
- Gunpowder, Treason and Plot
- Searching for Shakespeare
- Duplicate of Bank of America Merrill Lynch, Art Conservation Project