© National Portrait Gallery, London
by or after studio of John Closterman
oil on canvas, circa 1695 or after
29 in. x 24 in. (737 mm x 610 mm) oval
- Audio Guide
- Ingamells, John, Later Stuart Portraits 1685-1714, 2009, p. 232
- Ollard, Richard, Character Sketches: Samuel Pepys and His Circle, 2000, p. 57
- Ollard, Richard, Pepys and his Contemporaries, 2015, p. 83
- Rogers, Malcolm, Master Drawings from the National Portrait Gallery, 1993 (accompanying the exhibition at the National Portrait Gallery from 5 August to 23 October 1994), p. 26
- Saywell, David; Simon, Jacob, Complete Illustrated Catalogue, 2004, p. 508
Princess Anne, daughter of James II by Anne Hyde, and now heir apparent to the English throne, returns to court having retired two years previously over William III's dismissal of John Churchill and his wife, Sarah, Anne's closest companion.
Art and science
William Congreve's comical farce, Love for Love
, exemplifying the height of Restoration comedy, reopens Lincoln's Inn Theatre with a new actors' company led by actor Thomas Betterton. Its witty, sparking dialogue made it hugely popular with audiences.
William III and Maximilian II Emanuel of Bavaria, commanding the army of the grand alliance, recapture Namur in the Spanish Netherlands from the French. Despite a period of victories, the Netherlands and England begin to struggle financially under the economic strain of the ongoing Nine Years' War.