King Richard II
2 of 34 portraits of King Richard II
King Richard II
by Unknown artist
oil on panel, 16th century
23 3/4 in. x 18 in. (603 mm x 457 mm)
Transferred from British Museum, 1879
Linked publicationsback to top
- Cooper, Tarnya, Searching for Shakespeare, 2006 (accompanying the exhibition at the National Portrait Gallery from 2 March - 29 May 2006), p. 160
- Cooper, Tarnya, Searching for Shakespeare (hardback), 2006 (accompanying the exhibition at the National Portrait Gallery from 2 March - 29 May 2006), p. 160
- Saywell, David; Simon, Jacob, Complete Illustrated Catalogue, 2004, p. 519
- Strong, Roy, Tudor and Jacobean Portraits, 1969, p. 260
Events of 1500back to top
Current affairsHenry VII meets Philip the Fair of Burgundy at Calais to confirm the resolution of trade disputes with the Netherlands and to discuss dynastic marriages for Prince Henry, later Henry VIII, and Princess Mary, later Queen of France.
Art and sciencePedro Álvares Cabral becomes the first European to sail to Brazil, and claims the land for Portugal.
William Caxton's successor, Wynkyn de Worde, establishes a printing press in Fleet Street, London. The area becomes synonymous with printing.
InternationalLouis XII of France and Ferdinand II of Aragon agree to divide the Kingdom of Naples between them at the Treaty of Granada
Exhibitions and displays
- Life, Death and Memory
Until 4 February 2018
- Portrait of the Day: Henry VIII & Katherine of Aragon
17 December, 12:30
Tell us more
Help us conserve a portrait of a female adventurer, poet and medical pioneer