King Richard II
2 of 34 portraits of King Richard II
King Richard II
by Unknown artist
oil on panel, 16th century
23 3/4 in. x 18 in. (603 mm x 457 mm)
Transferred from British Museum, 1879
Linked publicationsback to top
- Cooper, Tarnya, Searching for Shakespeare, 2006 (accompanying the exhibition at the National Portrait Gallery from 2 March - 29 May 2006), p. 160
- Cooper, Tarnya, Searching for Shakespeare (hardback), 2006 (accompanying the exhibition at the National Portrait Gallery from 2 March - 29 May 2006), p. 160
- Saywell, David; Simon, Jacob, Complete Illustrated Catalogue, 2004, p. 519
- Strong, Roy, Tudor and Jacobean Portraits, 1969, p. 260
Events of 1500back to top
Current affairsHenry VII meets Philip the Fair of Burgundy at Calais to confirm the resolution of trade disputes with the Netherlands and to discuss dynastic marriages for Prince Henry, later Henry VIII, and Princess Mary, later Queen of France.
Art and sciencePedro ?lvares Cabral becomes the first European to sail to Brazil, and claims the land for Portugal.
William Caxton's successor, Wynkyn de Worde, establishes a printing press in Fleet Street, London. The area becomes synonymous with printing.
InternationalLouis XII of France and Ferdinand II of Aragon agree to divide the Kingdom of Naples between them at the Treaty of Granada
View a wide collection of video content on our YouTube channel from past projects to our latest films.
Artist and sitter interviews
Get insights into creating portraiture from BP Portrait Award 2020 artists and their sitters.
Watch our film created to say ‘goodbye’ to the Gallery before we closed for our major transformation project.
- Searching for Shakespeare
- Making History: Printed Portraiture in Tudor and Stuart Britain
- Picturing History: A portrait set of early English kings and queens
- Kings and Queens: A Family tree
- Silhouettes display, 2004-05
- Return to Life: A New Look at the Portrait Bust
- 2019 Anniversaries
- William Hazlitt's Spirit of the Age
- Mary, Queen of Scots: Fact and Fiction
- Restoration Lives: Samuel Pepys and His Circle
- Brilliant Women
- Chartist Portraits
- Mary, Queen of Scots
- Nelson: before and after Trafalgar
- Bank of America Merrill Lynch, Art Conservation Project
- Rebel women
- Theodore de Mayerne
- Tudor and Elizabethan matching pairs
- Popular Prints of Victoria and Albert
- Gunpowder, Treason and Plot
- Icons and Identities: Shakespeare to Winehouse
Until 17 July
Tell us more
Framed & unframed prints
Choose your favourite portrait from our Collection as a framed or unframed print for your home.