King Richard II
7 of 3114 portraits matching these criteria:
- subject matching 'Jewellery - Crowns and tiaras'
- 'Image on website'
King Richard II
by Unknown artist
oil on panel, 16th century
23 3/4 in. x 18 in. (603 mm x 457 mm)
Transferred from British Museum, 1879
Linked publicationsback to top
- Cooper, Tarnya, Searching for Shakespeare, 2006 (accompanying the exhibition at the National Portrait Gallery from 2 March - 29 May 2006), p. 160
- Cooper, Tarnya, Searching for Shakespeare (hardback), 2006 (accompanying the exhibition at the National Portrait Gallery from 2 March - 29 May 2006), p. 160
- Saywell, David; Simon, Jacob, Complete Illustrated Catalogue, 2004, p. 519
- Strong, Roy, Tudor and Jacobean Portraits, 1969, p. 260
Events of 1500back to top
Current affairsHenry VII meets Philip the Fair of Burgundy at Calais to confirm the resolution of trade disputes with the Netherlands and to discuss dynastic marriages for Prince Henry, later Henry VIII, and Princess Mary, later Queen of France.
Art and sciencePedro Álvares Cabral becomes the first European to sail to Brazil, and claims the land for Portugal.
William Caxton's successor, Wynkyn de Worde, establishes a printing press in Fleet Street, London. The area becomes synonymous with printing.
InternationalLouis XII of France and Ferdinand II of Aragon agree to divide the Kingdom of Naples between them at the Treaty of Granada
Make a donation
Support our Make History appeal and help us transform the Gallery.
A unique range of books, accessories and gifts. Every purchase supports the Gallery’s work.
Bring a familiar face home
Refresh your home gallery with a huge selection of custom art prints .
- Searching for Shakespeare
- Making History: Printed Portraiture in Tudor and Stuart Britain
- Picturing History: A portrait set of early English kings and queens
- Kings and Queens: A Family tree
- Silhouettes display, 2004-05
- Return to Life: A New Look at the Portrait Bust
- 2019 Anniversaries
- William Hazlitt's Spirit of the Age
- Mary, Queen of Scots: Fact and Fiction
- Restoration Lives: Samuel Pepys and His Circle
- Brilliant Women
- Chartist Portraits
- Mary, Queen of Scots
- Nelson: before and after Trafalgar
- Bank of America Merrill Lynch, Art Conservation Project
- Rebel women
- Theodore de Mayerne
- Tudor and Elizabethan matching pairs
- Popular Prints of Victoria and Albert
- Gunpowder, Treason and Plot
Tell us more
Framed & unframed prints
Choose your favourite portrait from our Collection as a framed or unframed print for your home.