King Richard II
King Richard II
by Elkington & Co, cast by Domenico Brucciani, after Nicholas Broker, and Godfrey Prest
electrotype, 1873, based on a work of circa 1395-1397
31 in. (787 mm) high
Artistsback to top
- Nicholas Broker (circa 1350-1426), Sculptor. Artist associated with 2 portraits.
- Domenico Brucciani (1815-1880), Sculptor. Artist associated with 23 portraits.
- Elkington & Co, Sculptors. Artist associated with 22 portraits.
- Godfrey Prest (active 1377-1395), Sculptor. Artist associated with 2 portraits.
This portraitback to top
The original full-length effigy on Richard's tomb in Westminster Abbey is known to have been made by Nicholas Broker and Godfrey Prest and it is notable that the contract for the work specified that the images of both Richard and his queen, Anne of Bohemia, should be portraits.
Linked publicationsback to top
- Saywell, David; Simon, Jacob, Complete Illustrated Catalogue, 2004, p. 519
Linked displays and exhibitionsback to top
- Early English Kings: Medieval Monuments Remade (3 April 2012 - 31 March 2013)
Listen to a series of podcasts exploring the lives of pioneering women, past and present.
William Eggleston was closely associated with the alternative music scene in Memphis. Revisit our 2016 exhibition and listen to a special playlist.
Links to audio and transcripts of interviews with artists, sitters and historic recordings.
Tell us more
Framed & unframed prints
Choose your favourite portrait from our Collection as a framed or unframed print for your home.