1 portrait matching these criteria:
- subject matching 'Self-portraits'
by or after Jonathan Richardson
pencil on vellum, 1730s
4 5/8 in. x 3 1/2 in. (117 mm x 89 mm)
Given by George Tite, 1910
Sitterback to top
- Jonathan Richardson (1667-1745), Portrait painter. Sitter in 8 portraits, Artist associated with 124 portraits.
Artistback to top
- Jonathan Richardson (1667-1745), Portrait painter. Artist associated with 124 portraits, Sitter in 8 portraits.
Linked publicationsback to top
- Saywell, David; Simon, Jacob, Complete Illustrated Catalogue, 2004, p. 521
- Schama, Simon, The Face of Britain: The Nation Through its Portraits, 2015-09-15, p. 374
Events of 1730back to top
Current affairsJohn and Charles Wesley form a Holy Club at Oxford which becomes the cradle of Methodism.
Glasite sect, which promoted a form of primitive Christianity, established in Scotland by John Glas.
Last native roe deer in England is reputedly killed in Northumberland.
Art and scienceFrench sculptor Louis-Francois Roubiliac settles in London from Paris.
The Daily Advertiser is established as the first newspaper funded by advertising.
Mathematician and inventor John Hadley invents the octant, a navigating device which precedes the sextant.
InternationalFrederick, Crown Prince of Prussia, tries to flee to Britain but is imprisoned by his father Frederick William I.
Pope Clement XII succeeds Benedict XIII as the 246th pope.
Swedish astronomer Anders Celsius observes the aurora borealis and suggests the existence of the earth's magnetic field.