Dante Gabriel Rossetti
8 of 29 portraits of Dante Gabriel Rossetti
- Extended Catalogue Entry
Dante Gabriel Rossetti
by Dante Gabriel Rossetti
watercolour and ink, circa 1870
3 7/8 in. x 3 1/8 in. (98 mm x 79 mm)
Given by Marion Harry Spielmann, 1939
Sitterback to top
- Dante Gabriel Rossetti (1828-1882), Painter and poet. Sitter in 29 portraits, Artist associated with 22 portraits.
Artistback to top
- Dante Gabriel Rossetti (1828-1882), Painter and poet. Artist associated with 22 portraits, Sitter in 29 portraits.
Linked publicationsback to top
- Marsh, Jan, Character Sketches: The Pre-Raphaelites, 1998
- Marsh, Jan, The Pre-Raphaelite Circle, 2013, p. 26 Read entry
As depression replaced dynamism, Rossetti's breakdown is foreshadowed in this drawing. 'It was in the early days only that the soul within had been truly seen in the face', observed Holman Hunt sadly.
- Marsh, Jan, Insights: The Pre-Raphaelite Circle, 2005, p. 26
- Saywell, David; Simon, Jacob, Complete Illustrated Catalogue, 2004, p. 534
Linked displays and exhibitionsback to top
Events of 1870back to top
Current affairsWilliam Edward Forster's Education Act is passed, making provisions for education for all under-13s. It demonstrated the balance in Gladstone's first ministry between progressive reform and conservativism by spreading literacy, whilst maintaining the status of Church schools.
The Married Women's Property Act gives wives rights over their own earnings.
Art and scienceThe Russian composer Pyotr Ilyich Tchaikovsky's fantasy-overture Romeo and Juliet, based on Shakespeare's play and written with the aid of composer Mily Balakirev, debuts in Moscow, conducted by Nikolai Rubenstein.
W. G. Grace becomes cricket captain of Gloucestershire, marking the start of a successful decade for the club in which they won three 'Champion County' titles.
InternationalIsaac Butt, an Irish MP at Westminster, forms the Home Rule Association.
The Franco-Prussian war breaks out between France and a coalition of German states led by Prussia. Provoked by the candidacy of German Prince Leopold Hohenzollen-Sigmaringen for the Spanish throne, France declared war in July after Bismark published the deliberately provocative Ems telegraph, in which the French were represented in an offensive light on the issue.
Tell us more
Framed & unframed prints