Dante Gabriel Rossetti
9 of 29 portraits of Dante Gabriel Rossetti
- Extended Catalogue Entry
Dante Gabriel Rossetti
by George Frederic Watts
oil on linen, circa 1871
26 in. x 21 1/8 in. (661 mm x 535 mm)
Given by George Frederic Watts, 1895
Sitterback to top
- Dante Gabriel Rossetti (1828-1882), Painter and poet. Sitter in 29 portraits, Artist associated with 22 portraits.
Artistback to top
- George Frederic Watts (1817-1904), Painter and sculptor. Artist associated with 91 portraits, Sitter in 43 portraits.
Linked publicationsback to top
- Saywell, David; Simon, Jacob, Complete Illustrated Catalogue, 2004, p. 534
Events of 1871back to top
Current affairsGladstone's first ministry continues with its programme of reform, with an overhaul of the civil service which is opened to public examination. The University Test Acts allow non-members of the Church of England to hold posts at the Universities of Oxford and Cambridge. The Trade Union Act granted full legal status to trade union organisations, although the Criminal Law Amendment Act banned picketing.
The first FA Cup competition is held.
Art and scienceThe Penny Farthing, the first efficient bicycle, is invented by British engineer, James Starley.
The artist James Whistler paints a portrait of his mother, calling the nearly monochromatic portrait Arrangement in Grey and Black. Although now one of Whistler's most recognisable paintings, it was nearly rejected by the Royal Academy at first.
InternationalFrance's shock defeat against Prussia radically alters Europe's status quo, leading to the deposition of Napoleon III and the creation of France's Third Republic, as well as Germany's unification and rise in military power and imperialist ambitions, as the Prussian King William I is pronounced Emperor of Germany. Further, Germany's annexing of the French regions Alsace and Lorraine provoked bitter land disputes which contributed to the outbreak of the First World War.
- Artist - Rossetti
- The Watts Collection
- 2017 Anniversaries
- Room 26: Portraits by G.F. Watts
- Only Connect - installation video
- Only Connect
- Room 25: Women, politics and domestic life in Victorian Britain
- Rebel women
- Room 26: G.F. Watts Bicentenary
- Princes of Victorian Bohemia: Photographs by David Wilkie Wynfield
- Julia Margaret Cameron: 'Poets, prophets, painters and lovely maidens'