Lord Edward Russell
Lord Edward Russell
by George Perfect Harding, after Unknown artist
watercolour, 19th century, based on a work of 1573
12 in. x 9 1/4 in. (305 mm x 235 mm)
Sitterback to top
- Lord Edward Russell (1551-1572), Eldest son of 2nd Earl of Bedford. Sitter in 1 portrait.
Artistsback to top
This portraitback to top
The portrait is after an original in the collection of Woburn Abbey, dated 1573, and gives the sitter's age as 22. Edward's wife, Jane Sybilla, is referred to in the preceding year as a widow which makes this identification uncertain. The inset picture of a maze is taken from a popular book of emblems, Claude Paradin's Devises Hèroïques (1557). The accompanying inscription: FATA. VIAM. INVENIENT (The fates will find a way) is taken from Virgil's Aeneid.
Linked publicationsback to top
- Saywell, David; Simon, Jacob, Complete Illustrated Catalogue, 2004, p. 539
- Strong, Roy, Tudor and Jacobean Portraits, 1969, p. 269
Linked displays and exhibitionsback to top
- The Tudors Reimagined: George Perfect Harding (From 14 January 2015)
Portrait setback to top
Subjects & Themesback to top
Events of 1573back to top
Current affairsThe radical protestant Sir Francis Walsingham is appointed Principal Secretary . He establishes a large espionage network to protect Queen Elizabeth I.
Art and scienceThe French Protestant jurist François Hotman writes Franco-Gallia, arguing for representative government and an elective monarchy.
Birth of the architect Inigo Jones.
InternationalFernando, Duke of Alva resigns as Spanish Governor-General in the Netherlands after failing to make headway against the Dutch Protestant rebels. He is succeeded by Don Luis de Requesens, who attempts to pursue a more conciliatory policy.
The Treaty of Constantinople ends war between the Ottoman Empire and Venice. Venice cedes Cyprus and increases its annual tribute.
The Duke of Anjou becomes the first elected King of Poland.
- Searching for Shakespeare
- Brilliant Women
- Popular Prints of Victoria and Albert
- Nelson: before and after Trafalgar
- Making History: Printed Portraiture in Tudor and Stuart Britain
- Gunpowder, Treason and Plot
- Chartist Portraits
- Silhouettes display, 2004-05
- William Hazlitt's Spirit of the Age
- Return to Life: A New Look at the Portrait Bust
- Restoration Lives: Samuel Pepys and His Circle
- Theodore de Mayerne
- Mary, Queen of Scots: Fact and Fiction
- Mary, Queen of Scots
- Bank of America Merrill Lynch, Art Conservation Project
- Rebel women
- 2019 Anniversaries
- Tudor and Elizabethan matching pairs
Tell us more
Framed & unframed prints