Lord Francis Russell
Lord Francis Russell
by George Perfect Harding, after Unknown artist
watercolour, 19th century, based on a work of 1573
12 in. x 9 1/4 in. (305 mm x 235 mm)
Sitterback to top
- Lord Francis Russell (circa 1554-1585), Third son of 2nd Earl of Bedford. Sitter associated with 2 portraits.
Artistsback to top
This portraitback to top
This portrait is after an original in the collection of Woburn Abbey. Francis is shown in similar attire to that of his brother, Edward, in his portrait by the same artist. Behind Francis is a pair of inset scenes depicting a ship on a rough sea and a seated woman in a landscape with snakes and other beasts.
Linked publicationsback to top
- Saywell, David; Simon, Jacob, Complete Illustrated Catalogue, 2004, p. 539
- Strong, Roy, Tudor and Jacobean Portraits, 1969, p. 270
Linked displays and exhibitionsback to top
- The Tudors Reimagined: George Perfect Harding (From 14 January 2015)
Portrait setback to top
Subjects & Themesback to top
Events of 1573back to top
Current affairsThe radical protestant Sir Francis Walsingham is appointed Principal Secretary . He establishes a large espionage network to protect Queen Elizabeth I.
Art and scienceThe French Protestant jurist François Hotman writes Franco-Gallia, arguing for representative government and an elective monarchy.
Birth of the architect Inigo Jones.
InternationalFernando, Duke of Alva resigns as Spanish Governor-General in the Netherlands after failing to make headway against the Dutch Protestant rebels. He is succeeded by Don Luis de Requesens, who attempts to pursue a more conciliatory policy.
The Treaty of Constantinople ends war between the Ottoman Empire and Venice. Venice cedes Cyprus and increases its annual tribute.
The Duke of Anjou becomes the first elected King of Poland.
- Silhouettes display, 2004-05
- Return to Life: A New Look at the Portrait Bust
- 2019 Anniversaries
- William Hazlitt's Spirit of the Age
- Making History: Printed Portraiture in Tudor and Stuart Britain
- Mary, Queen of Scots: Fact and Fiction
- Restoration Lives: Samuel Pepys and His Circle
- Brilliant Women
- Chartist Portraits
- Mary, Queen of Scots
- Nelson: before and after Trafalgar
- Bank of America Merrill Lynch, Art Conservation Project
- Rebel women
- Theodore de Mayerne
- Tudor and Elizabethan matching pairs
- Popular Prints of Victoria and Albert
- Gunpowder, Treason and Plot
- Searching for Shakespeare
Tell us more
Framed & unframed prints