8 of 102 portraits by John Russell
- Extended Catalogue Entry
by John Russell
black, white and red chalk with some pencil on grey paper, circa 1780
13 1/8 in. x 8 3/4 in. (333 mm x 222 mm)
Bequeathed by Eleanor Mabel Freeman Wood, 1954
Sitterback to top
- John Russell (1745-1806), Portrait painter and pastellist. Sitter associated with 6 portraits, Artist associated with 102 portraits.
Artistback to top
- John Russell (1745-1806), Portrait painter and pastellist. Artist associated with 102 portraits, Sitter associated with 6 portraits.
This portraitback to top
In 1770 Russell turned from oils to pastel, using grey or blue paper and smudging the colours before accenting with black chalk. On occasions he also applied chalk to paper, such as in this self-portrait.
Linked publicationsback to top
- Ingamells, John, National Portrait Gallery: Mid-Georgian Portraits 1760-1790, 2004, p. 413
- Saywell, David; Simon, Jacob, Complete Illustrated Catalogue, 2004, p. 540
Linked displays and exhibitionsback to top
- Late Eighteenth Century Prints and Drawings (17 April 2004 - 5 September 2004)
Events of 1780back to top
Current affairsAnti-Catholic mob led by Lord George Gordon marches on Parliament to protest against the Catholic Relief Act, leading to the outbreak of the Gordon Riots in London. Six days of rioting are ended by the intervention of troops, with 285 people shot dead.
Dunning's Motion in Parliament attacks the influence of the crown, suggesting that it has increased and ought to be diminished.
Art and scienceRoyal Academy moves to Somerset House on The Strand, London.
Mrs E. Johnson's British Gazette and Sunday Monitor, the first Sunday newspaper in Britain, begins publication.
Potter Josiah Wedgwood invents the pyrometer; a device used for measuring high temperatures.
InternationalAmerican War of Independence: British troops under Charles Cornwallis defeat American army under Horatio Gates at Camden, South Carolina. The capture of British army officer and spy John André yields proof that US general Benedict Arnold is in the pay of the British. André is executed in as a spy.
Second Anglo-Mysore War in India between Hyder Ali and the East India Company.
Bolshoi Theatre of opera and ballet is founded in Moscow.
Tell us more
Framed & unframed prints