Sir Walter Scott, 1st Bt
- Extended Catalogue Entry
Sir Walter Scott, 1st Bt
by Edwin Landseer
oil on panel, circa 1824
11 1/2 in. x 9 1/2 in. (292 mm x 241 mm)
Given by Albert Grant, Baron Grant (né Abraham Gottheimer), 1874
Sitterback to top
- Sir Walter Scott, 1st Bt (1771-1832), Novelist and poet. Sitter associated with 47 portraits.
Artistback to top
- Sir Edwin Henry Landseer (1802-1873), Painter. Artist associated with 56 portraits, Sitter in 22 portraits.
This portraitback to top
An animal painter, whose later work is indebted to Scott's tales, the 22-year-old Landseer developed this sketch during his first visit to Abbotsford, Scott's baronial estate. 'He painted every dog in the house,' Scott reported, 'and ended up with the owner.'
Linked publicationsback to top
- Audio Guide
- Smartify image discovery app
- Holmes, Richard, The Romantic Poets and Their Circle, 2013, p. 99
- Holmes, Richard, Insights: The Romantic Poets and Their Circle, 2005, p. 81
- Holmes, Richard; Crane, David; Woof, Robert; Hebron, Stephen, Romantics and Revolutionaries: Regency portraits from the National Portrait Gallery, 2002, p. 65
- Ross, Josephine, Jane Austen and her World, 2017, p. 99
- Saywell, David; Simon, Jacob, Complete Illustrated Catalogue, 2004, p. 553
- Walker, Richard, Regency Portraits, 1985, p. 439
Events of 1824back to top
Current affairsAnti-Trade Union Combination Acts of 1799 and 1800 are repealed after persuasive arguments from radical Francis Place that prohibition of workers' combinations only increased their appeal. The unions had been banned for fear that they were becoming involved in democratic politics.
Art and scienceNational Gallery is established when Parliament agrees to purchase a collection of thirty-eight paintings from the estate of philanthropist John Julius Angerstein. William Seguier is appointed first Keeper.
Society of British Artists holds its first exhibition, aiming to appeal to a broader art public than those who visited the Royal Academy.
InternationalLord Byron dies of a fever at Missolonghi while fighting in the Greek War of Independence.
Britain declares war on Burma after threat of Indian invasion.
Singapore is ceded to Britain.
John Constable's Haywain receives Gold Medal at the Paris Salon.
Read our latest news and have your say.
Identify our Silhouettes
Join enthusiastic contributors who have already identified 155 sitters.
Tell us more about our Silvy sitters
Help us identify the sitters who visited Camille Silvy’s photographic studio during the 1860s.
Tell us more
Framed & unframed prints
Choose your favourite portrait from our Collection as a framed or unframed print for your home.