2 of 3 portraits of Joseph Severn
- Extended Catalogue Entry
by John Partridge
9 3/8 in. x 7 1/4 in. (240 mm x 185 mm)
Sitterback to top
- Joseph Severn (1793-1879), Painter and Civil Servant. Sitter associated with 3 portraits, Artist associated with 14 portraits.
Artistback to top
- John Partridge (1789-1872), Portrait painter. Artist associated with 41 portraits, Sitter in 3 portraits.
This portraitback to top
In this rather theatrical portrait, Severn is shown wide-eyed and wrapped in a cloak.
Linked publicationsback to top
- Ormond, Richard, Early Victorian Portraits, 1973, p. 415
- Saywell, David; Simon, Jacob, Complete Illustrated Catalogue, 2004, p. 556
Linked displays and exhibitionsback to top
- British Artists in Rome: The John Partridge Sketchbook, 1823 - 27 (21 August 2010 - 27 March 2011)
Events of 1825back to top
Current affairsStrikes, contract breaking and worker intimidation prompt the passing of a new Anti-Trade Union Combination Act to the dismay of economist John McCulloch, MP Joseph Hume and radical Francis Place who had worked for the repeal of the previous year.
Catholic Relief Bill is rejected by the House of Lords.
Art and scienceConstruction of Thames Tunnel begins under the direction of Marc Isambard Brunel.
Stockton to Darlington Railway, the world's first passenger system, opens.
William Hazlitt publishes The Spirit of the Age; twenty-five pen-portraits of his contemporaries in the world of literature, philosophy and politics.
InternationalBeethoven's Ninth Symphony premieres in London.
John Quincy Adams is elected President of the United States.