after Gerard Johnson
plaster cast, early 20th century, from a mid 19th century mould of a work of circa 1620
31 3/4 in. (806 mm) high
Sitterback to top
- William Shakespeare (1564-1616), Dramatist and poet. Sitter associated with 105 portraits.
Related worksback to top
- NPG 185a: William Shakespeare (based on same portrait)
- NPG D18888: William Shakespeare (based on same portrait)
- NPG D21013: Monument to William Shakespeare in Holy Trinity Church, Stratford-upon-Avon (based on same portrait)
- NPG D41657: William Shakespeare (based on same portrait)
- NPG D41658: William Shakespeare (based on same portrait)
- NPG D41659: William Shakespeare (based on same portrait)
Linked publicationsback to top
- Charles Nicholl, Shakespeare and his Contemporaries, 2015, p. 45
- Cooper, Tarnya, Searching for Shakespeare, 2006 (accompanying the exhibition at the National Portrait Gallery from 2 March - 29 May 2006), p. 51
- Cooper, Tarnya, Searching for Shakespeare (hardback), 2006 (accompanying the exhibition at the National Portrait Gallery from 2 March - 29 May 2006), p. 51
- Nicholl, Charles, Character Sketches: Elizabethan Writers, 1997, p. 15
- Nicholl, Charles, Insights: Shakespeare and His Contemporaries, 2005, p. 37
- Saywell, David; Simon, Jacob, Complete Illustrated Catalogue, 2004, p. 558
- Strong, Roy, Tudor and Jacobean Portraits, 1969, p. 283
Events of 1620back to top
Current affairsThe beginning of a severe economic depression in England is widely blamed on the East India Company whose export of bullion on each voyage financed their trade. Additionally, despite efforts by Lionel Cranfield, Earl of Middlesex, to reduce the royal household's expenditure, James I's debt is historically high.
Art and scienceFrancis Bacon publishes his major philosophical work Novum Organum, which presents his account of the correct method of acquiring natural knowledge using inductive reasoning.
Inventor and mechanical engineer, Cornelis Drebbel builds an early type of submarine which he demonstrates on the Thames.
InternationalThe Catholic League's invasion of Bohemia and victory at the battle of the White Mountain, forces Frederick V, king of Bohemia and his family into exile in the Hague, after less than a year reigning.
The Pilgrim Fathers sail for America in the 'Mayflower', escaping religious persecution in England.
Tudor and Elizabethan matching pairs
Test your memory by playing our matching pairs game. Three levels of difficulty make it fun for the whole family.
Regency familiar faces
Rearrange tiles to uncover sitters from the Gallery's Collection by playing our puzzle game.
Who do you think you were?
Answer a few lifestyle questions about the Elizabethan period and discover your inner Elizabethan!
- Searching for Shakespeare
- Making History: Printed Portraiture in Tudor and Stuart Britain
- NPG D48654 in 360°
- NPG D48655 in 360°
- NPG D48054 in 360°
- Director's Trail by Nicholas Cullinan
- Shakespeare quiz
- Gallery history
- William Shakespeare
- Searching for Shakespeare
- In Character: Shakespeare's plays
- NPG D48052 in 360°
- Tudor and Elizabethan matching pairs
- Adopt a Portrait
Tell us more
Framed & unframed prints
Choose your favourite portrait from our Collection as a framed or unframed print for your home.