after Gerard Johnson
plaster cast of copy of head of effigy at Stratford-upon-Avon, 19th century, based on a work of circa 1620
12 in. (305 mm) high
Given by Albert Way, 1874
Sitterback to top
- William Shakespeare (1564-1616), Dramatist and poet. Sitter associated with 96 portraits.
Related worksback to top
- NPG 1735: William Shakespeare (based on same portrait)
- NPG D18888: William Shakespeare (based on same portrait)
- NPG D21013: Monument to William Shakespeare in Holy Trinity Church, Stratford-upon-Avon (based on same portrait)
- NPG D41657: William Shakespeare (based on same portrait)
- NPG D41658: William Shakespeare (based on same portrait)
- NPG D41659: William Shakespeare (based on same portrait)
Linked publicationsback to top
- Saywell, David; Simon, Jacob, Complete Illustrated Catalogue, 2004, p. 558
- Strong, Roy, Tudor and Jacobean Portraits, 1969, p. 284
Events of 1620back to top
Current affairsThe beginning of a severe economic depression in England is widely blamed on the East India Company whose export of bullion on each voyage financed their trade. Additionally, despite efforts by Lionel Cranfield, Earl of Middlesex, to reduce the royal household's expenditure, James I's debt is historically high.
Art and scienceFrancis Bacon publishes his major philosophical work Novum Organum, which presents his account of the correct method of acquiring natural knowledge using inductive reasoning.
Inventor and mechanical engineer, Cornelis Drebbel builds an early type of submarine which he demonstrates on the Thames.
InternationalThe Catholic League's invasion of Bohemia and victory at the battle of the White Mountain, forces Frederick V, king of Bohemia and his family into exile in the Hague, after less than a year reigning.
The Pilgrim Fathers sail for America in the 'Mayflower', escaping religious persecution in England.
Tell us more
Help us conserve a portrait of a female adventurer, poet and medical pioneer