Sir Henry Sidney
Sir Henry Sidney
by Unknown artist
oil on panel, 1573
26 5/8 in. x 20 5/8 in. (676 mm x 525 mm)
Sitterback to top
- Sir Henry Sidney (1529-1586), Soldier and statesman. Sitter associated with 11 portraits.
This portraitback to top
This portrait has suffered over time and some of the detail has been lost. Several versions of this portrait painted towards the end of his life remain in existence.
Linked publicationsback to top
- Saywell, David; Simon, Jacob, Complete Illustrated Catalogue, 2004, p. 565
- Strong, Roy, Tudor and Jacobean Portraits, 1969, p. 288
Subjects & Themesback to top
Events of 1573back to top
Current affairsThe radical protestant Sir Francis Walsingham is appointed Principal Secretary . He establishes a large espionage network to protect Queen Elizabeth I.
Art and scienceThe French Protestant jurist François Hotman writes Franco-Gallia, arguing for representative government and an elective monarchy.
Birth of the architect Inigo Jones.
InternationalFernando, Duke of Alva resigns as Spanish Governor-General in the Netherlands after failing to make headway against the Dutch Protestant rebels. He is succeeded by Don Luis de Requesens, who attempts to pursue a more conciliatory policy.
The Treaty of Constantinople ends war between the Ottoman Empire and Venice. Venice cedes Cyprus and increases its annual tribute.
The Duke of Anjou becomes the first elected King of Poland.
Become a Member
Enjoy access to special events, discounts on the Gallery online shop, supporters’ updates and much more
Bringing people together by sharing the portraits and stories of the men and women who have shaped our nation.
Sign up to receive information on exhibitions, collections and activities of the National Portrait Gallery, including special offers, shop products, and exclusive competitions.
- Silhouettes display, 2004-05
- Return to Life: A New Look at the Portrait Bust
- 2019 Anniversaries
- William Hazlitt's Spirit of the Age
- Making History: Printed Portraiture in Tudor and Stuart Britain
- Mary, Queen of Scots: Fact and Fiction
- Restoration Lives: Samuel Pepys and His Circle
- Brilliant Women
- Chartist Portraits
- Mary, Queen of Scots
- Nelson: before and after Trafalgar
- Bank of America Merrill Lynch, Art Conservation Project
- Rebel women
- Theodore de Mayerne
- Tudor and Elizabethan matching pairs
- Popular Prints of Victoria and Albert
- Gunpowder, Treason and Plot
- Searching for Shakespeare
- Icons and Identities: Shakespeare to Winehouse
Until 17 July
Tell us more
Framed & unframed prints
Choose your favourite portrait from our Collection as a framed or unframed print for your home.