- Extended Catalogue Entry
by Robert Hancock
black, red and brown chalk and pencil, 1796
6 3/4 in. x 5 3/4 in. (171 mm x 146 mm)
Linked publicationsback to top
- Holmes, Richard, The Romantic Poets and Their Circle, 2013, p. 32
- Holmes, Richard, Insights: The Romantic Poets and Their Circle, 2005, p. 24
- Rogers, Malcolm, Master Drawings from the National Portrait Gallery, 1993 (accompanying the exhibition at the National Portrait Gallery from 5 August to 23 October 1994), p. 79
- Saywell, David; Simon, Jacob, Complete Illustrated Catalogue, 2004, p. 577
- Walker, Richard, Regency Portraits, 1985, p. 469
Events of 1796back to top
Current affairsBirth of Princess Charlotte, only child of George, Prince of Wales and Princess Caroline whose marriage soon quickly and publicly degenerates.
Art and scienceFanny Burney publishes Camilla, one of several influential novels exploring social misunderstanding and the fashionable mode of sensibility.
Architect William Chambers completes the building of Somerset House.
Collector William Beckford, the richest man in England, begins construction of his gothic fantasy Fonthill Abbey.
InternationalNapoleon Bonaparte assumes command of the French armies in Italy and defeats the Austrians at Millesimo and the Piedmontese at Mondovi.
Arthur Wellesley, later Duke of Wellington, arrives in India as a colonel.
John Adams is elected President of the United States, defeating Thomas Jefferson by three votes.