- Extended Catalogue Entry
by Edward Nash
watercolour and bodycolour on ivory, 1820
5 3/8 in. x 4 in. (136 mm x 102 mm)
Bequeathed by the sitter's great-granddaughter, Mrs E.A. Boult, 1957
Linked publicationsback to top
- Holmes, Richard, The Romantic Poets and Their Circle, 2013, p. 65
- Holmes, Richard, Insights: The Romantic Poets and Their Circle, 2005, p. 50
- Ross, Josephine, Jane Austen and her World, 2017, p. 86
- Saywell, David; Simon, Jacob, Complete Illustrated Catalogue, 2004, p. 577
- Walker, Richard, Regency Portraits, 1985, p. 470
Events of 1820back to top
Current affairsGeorge III dies at Windsor Castle on 29 January and George IV ascends to the throne.
'Trial of Queen Caroline' in the House of Lords; Parliament drops the Bill which was to legitimise a divorce between Caroline and George IV.
Cato Street Conspiracy to assassinate the cabinet discovered. Arthur Thistlewood and fellow conspirators are hung.
Art and scienceSir Thomas Lawrence becomes President of the Royal Academy.
Astronomical Society is set up by John Herschel and Charles Babbage.
First iron steamship is launched.
InternationalActor, Edmund Kean goes on a successful tour of America after making his name at the Drury Lane Theatre.
Revolutions begin in Spain, Portugal and Naples.
The famous ancient Greek statue of the Venus de Milo is rediscovered on the Island of Melos and purchased by the Louvre in Paris.