George Frederic Watts
1 of 43 portraits of George Frederic Watts
- Extended Catalogue Entry
George Frederic Watts
by Henry Wyndham Phillips
oil on canvas, circa 1850
35 1/2 in. x 25 1/4 in. (902 mm x 641 mm) overall
Given by Henry Wagner, 1904
Click on the links below to find out more:
Sitterback to top
- George Frederic Watts (1817-1904), Painter and sculptor. Sitter in 43 portraits, Artist associated with 91 portraits.
Artistback to top
- Henry Wyndham Phillips (1820-1868), Painter. Artist associated with 34 portraits, Sitter in 5 portraits.
Linked publicationsback to top
- Saywell, David; Simon, Jacob, Complete Illustrated Catalogue, 2004, p. 646
Events of 1850back to top
Current affairsCardinal Wiseman, a Catholic priest who had exerted a strong influence on the Oxford movement, is made a Cardinal and leader of the Catholic church in England, thus restoring Roman Catholic hierarchy in England.
Art and scienceDeath of poet laureate William Wordsworth; his great autobiographical poem The Prelude is published posthumously, famously charting the growth of the poet's mind.
Tennyson's In Memoriam is also published. A poignant record of his grief over the death of his friend Arthur Hallam, the poem also movingly questions the strength of faith in an increasingly scientific age.
InternationalUp to 50,000 pioneers travel west in wagons on the Oregon trail in the United States, one of the main overland migration routes across the continent. Spanning over half the continent, the trail led 2,170 miles through territories and land which would later become six US states, including Kansas, Wyoming and Oregon, helping the US to implement its goal of Manifest Destiny - building a nation spanning the North American continent.
- Princes of Victorian Bohemia: Photographs by David Wilkie Wynfield
- G.F. Watts Portraits: Fame & Beauty in Victorian Society
- Collected Archives - T-Z
- The Watts Collection
- Watts handlist
- Room 26: Portraits by G.F. Watts
- Only Connect
- Only Connect - installation video
- Room 26: G.F. Watts Bicentenary
- Julia Margaret Cameron:
'Poets, prophets, painters and lovely maidens'
- Portrait of the Day: Julie Margaret Cameron
15 December, 12:30
Tell us more
Help us conserve a portrait of a female adventurer, poet and medical pioneer