- Extended Catalogue Entry
by Unknown artist
oil on canvas, circa 1726-1739
49 1/4 in. x 39 1/2 in. (1251 mm x 1003 mm)
This portraitback to top
The portrait is the only type extant. Identification rests largely on the early inscription, bottom left, Dr. Jn Wiggan. The painter has not been identified. The hand is competent, but rather stiff: there are affinities with Charles Jervas, but it is not by him. More detailed information on this portrait is available in a National Portrait Gallery collection catalogue, John Kerslake's Early Georgian Portraits (1977, out of print).
Linked publicationsback to top
- Kerslake, John, Early Georgian Portraits, 1977, p. 308
- Saywell, David; Simon, Jacob, Complete Illustrated Catalogue, 2004, p. 660
Events of 1726back to top
Current affairsMary Toft allegedly gives birth to sixteen rabbits in Godalming Surrey and becomes the subject of considerable controversy, involving the King's own physician Nathaniel St Andre. The story is later revealed to be a hoax.
The Craftsman, a polemical political periodical, is launched by opposition leaders Henry St John, 1st Viscount Bolingbroke and William Pulteney, 1st Earl of Bath.
Art and scienceSt Martin-in-the-Fields church in London is completed to the design of the architect James Gibbs.
Jonathan Swift publishes his bitterly satirical Gulliver's Travels.
Poet Alexander Pope produces an English language translation of Homer's Odyssey.
Poet Allan Ramsay opens the first circulating library in Edinburgh.
InternationalFrench writer Voltaire begins an exile in England which lasts three years.
City of Montevideo is founded by the Spanish in Uruguay.
Recommended Exhibitions & displays
- 1517: Martin Luther and the English Reformation
Until 2 December
- Silhouettes display, 2004-05
- Return to Life: A New Look at the Portrait Bust
- William Hazlitt's Spirit of the Age
- Making History: Printed Portraiture in Tudor and Stuart Britain
- Mary, Queen of Scots: Fact and Fiction
- Restoration Lives: Samuel Pepys and His Circle
- Brilliant Women
- Chartist Portraits
- Mary, Queen of Scots
- Nelson: before and after Trafalgar
- Bank of America Merrill Lynch, Art Conservation Project
- Rebel women
- Theodore de Mayerne
- Popular Prints of Victoria and Albert
- Gunpowder, Treason and Plot
- Searching for Shakespeare
- Duplicate of Bank of America Merrill Lynch, Art Conservation Project